Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hi I have been on here often in a little over a year. Started

Customer Question

Hi I have been on here often in a little over a year. Started with valley fever I got 2/2012
That's gone. Almost off antifungals and titers zero for 6 months. A few months ago I got antibiotic induced diverticulitis (from all they put me on in and out of hospital last year)
Now it's IBS. A few months ago ihad a CT scan and ultrasound . Nothing found. So I took florastor and in a few weeks it seems gone. Now a few months later its back,not as severe thankfully. I went to functional med MD. She took stool and a nutritional metabolism test and results will be back In a week. I've been on metagenics products . Acute probiotic relief and a anti inflammatory drink and antihistamine natural product . as she said my allergies being 20 plus times worse this year and getting 3 times as many colds,flus is not from valley fever making me weak but from colon out of whack. my question is how long does this take to heal approx if anything is known about this. And I am training to be Zumba coach. I cut my workouts down to 5-7 hours a week instead of 10-15 as I want to HEAL. Is this ok. She said I can still do some teaching and get certified
Thx
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Any recent change in dietary habits?
Do you suffer from severe emotional stress or anxiety issue?
Do you have severe abdomen cramps?
Do you have alternate diarrhea and constipation?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only changed to 90% gluten free. Balanced diet. I hav been eating less than I should but I'm changing hat as I'm tired if it. It has not helped me les hat 20##### XXXXX serious. About 15-20 pounds I think of water gain from ths in 4 months!, I'm BMI if 29 now. Scary
I have very mild anxiety. He ativan is only since valley fever. I to addicted to it when trying to sleep with valley fever and now I weaned to .75 mg from 2 mg hs. I think I'll be to .5 in no time. I exercise a lot! Not losing wt. but still going to teach it . My coach s telling me lay low and heal first
My cramps are not severe anymore. They were months ago. I need dycyclomine rarely now to sleep. Just dull cramps almost all day. , very mild as I sleep through them now
Yes alternating constipation and not real diarreah just looser smelly stool.
No other med condition
Just on fluconazole 400 mg for a month or o more
I may go on med or HTN possibly as my bp number as I put in this wt. is now 126/ 85 sometimes 90. Sometime blw 80
I can't understand this drastic wt gain!
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I can understand your concern. I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.

Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight. Considering your BMI, you lie in Overweight category, and on risk for moving on Obese category.
Stress can play an important role in accumulation of fat apart from lack of exercise and improper diet.

Yes, your symptoms are due to IBS, and this has lead to problems with bowel movements.

Exact cause is still not known, but few determining factors can be considered such as-
-Bacterial infection or irritation of the stomach and intestines caused by bacteria. This condition may start all of a sudden in few days. A stool culture test would be diagnostic.
-Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
-Slow motility
-Food sensitivity

Once tests results are clear, appropriate line of treatment can be started.

You can treat this condition with healthy and balanced diet along with medications.
You need to take Psyllium, it is a natural vegetable fiber.
Sometime milk products worsen the condition, if you have any symptoms from them, then avoid it.
Also stress aggravate it, so practice yoga and meditation. Also you need to go for breathing exercises, for relaxation. Avoid anxiety and stress.

You should avoid processed foods. These may contain 'resistant starch' which is difficult for your body to digest.You should Cut down on foods rich in insoluble fiber, such as wholemeal bread, wholegrain rice and cereals containing bran.You should avoid foods such as beans, cabbage, or uncooked cauliflower or broccoli.

The prescription medications approved for the treatment of IBS are: Alosetron (Lotronex),Lubiprostone (Amitiza).Medications that affect certain activities of the autonomic nervous system (anticholinergics)are very effective in relieving the abdominal pain or stomach ache.

Also Getting regular, vigorous exercises, will make bowel movements regular.Sometimes doctor prescribe - Anti anxiety or anti -depressants drugs, These can also cure the symptoms.
Proper dietary control should be done.
It may take up to 2-3 weeks for symptoms to be free from body.
I can understand that you are training for Zumba coach, this would be helpful to keep you healthy and maintain weight.

If you have unexplained weight gain then you need to undergo Thyroid function test as well.
I suggest you to consult a dietitian for weight loss program .
Your doctor may advise Orlistat after undergoing a complete clinical examination if required .
The American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved Orlistat for use as an weight loss drug for adults
Eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains.Increase Fibre in diet.
Take six small meals rather than large meals.
Avoid Fats , fried foods.
Drink Plenty of water(10- 15 glasses per day).
I wish you good luck.

I suggest you to consult your doctor, discuss this issue and get appropriate management.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My thyroid was normal. My new functionsal med md says its water and inflammation. And it will come off. I'm praying she's right. As I'm not eating enough for a bird to gain wt. serious. . I akso changed gluten free . So psyllium won't hurt IBS? Yeah stool test back in a week.
Ill ask bout oralistat. Fried food? I can't even eat pasta now and was not eating much of it before! It's really frustrating but I'm really working on it
I do not like being this weight. At all. Or having ths IBS. Thank you. And you sure osyllium won't aggregate?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer, I can understand your concern.

Yes, it is important to wait for stool test results.

I a research, it was found that psyllium can be beneficial for people with irritable bowel syndrome.
Psyllium husk contains high amounts of muscilage, it is a type of soluble fiber which may benefit intestinal health.
The American College of Gastroenterology suggests psyllium as a treatment option for people suffering from IBS.

You should not take fried and fast foods, this can worsen your symptoms.
You should Eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains.Increase Fibre in diet. Drink Plenty of water(10- 15 glasses per day).

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks ill get psyllium. And I have two docs now for ths. I'm on it ! Again thx.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Carolyn, Thanks for asking follow up question.

Yes, you should try the foods, as suggested above. These would really be helpful for your health.
Psyllium is beneficial for intestinal health. Please use it.

I wish for your good health and take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dio have a question. This morning it's worse. I'm actually staying in from work and resting a day. I'm getting a colonoscopy in two weeks . My GI doc originally asked if I feel I want to be put asleep instead of just local due to pain. What so you think. He thought about it and said I should be ok local only. I'd like another opinion. Today the way it feels I don't want anything to be felt no thanks!!!!
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I can understand your sufferings.

Good to hear that you have already set appointment with GI doc for colonoscopy.
At this time, you can take Antispasmodic medicines such as mebeverine hydrochloride (eg Colofac)alverine citrate. It would help to resolve pain and IBS symptoms.

Your doctor may prescribe Anti anxiety or anti -depressants drugs, These can also cure the symptoms.
Once you get colonoscopy done, then accurate line of treatment can be advised.
I would recommend that you visit GI doctor for evaluation and get it managed.
I hope that you get recover soon.

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm seeing 2 GI docs. One regular one and one functional med one. Very good docs in my area. The regular one who is doing colonoscopy gave me dycyclomine or bentyl. Haven't used it much. But it can help for day of colonoscopy I see , thanks
On days it flares like this I rest more. That helps more than anything. I'm doing almost everything I am told to do for this. I guess it just takes time to heal. At least it's I improved quite a bit since it started in february
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Carolyn,

IBS symptoms may take few weeks to get resolve completely.
You need to have some more patience( i can understand that it can be difficult time).
You need to follow dietary changes as suggested in previous posts.

Yes, it take time, for symptoms to get resolve.
Please discuss this issue with your GI doctor and get it managed.