DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Hi. Im a 65 year old male - basically in good health. Im

Hi. I'm a 65 year old male - basically in good health. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Juice Plus products, but I've been using them (fruit, vegetable, and vineyard blend capsules) regularly for about three years. I haven't supplemented them with any sort of multivitamins because I haven't needed them. The only other thing I've been taking is the lowdose aspirin. I'm not obese, by any means, but I would like to lose a bit of weight. I have an opportunity to get a good price on 'Rasberry Mango' supplements from 'Tru Body Wellness' which contain 350mg each of raspberry keytones and african mango, as well as 100mg each of acai berry, green tea extract, kelp and apple cider vinegar. I'll be honest with you, the reason I'm considering purchasing it is that I'm not the best at disciplining myself to regular excersize. Would I be safe in using the supplements even at half the recommended dosage (which they DO suggest if I'm not in a hurry to lose weight and don't have that much to lose) or would it be 'overkill', in more ways than one?
Hello from JA
These are "probably safe" supplements.

So you are prudent in starting at half a dosage.

Also because how they might interact with aspirin is not exactly known .

Your doctor should be involved as well.

None of them are proven to make you lose weight.

In fact, even powerful prescription weight loss drugs do not make you lose weight for very long. The body adapts.

A complete lifestyle change, exercise, diet that is nutrient dense, and making sure that your thyroid function is OK are the keys to weight loss.

The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like this
leafy greens
green veggies
other veggies
whole fruit, beans and peas
Whole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refined
Seeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.
A little tofu or tempeh daily
A little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurt

The soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.
See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.

See the book, Fat Chance, by Dr. Lustig, for the science of what is going on with diets and weight.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My present diet is very much like you've outlined. I just want to give a weightloss effort a little bit of a boost. So it would be okay to try the 'Raspberry Mango' supplements at half the doseage?

Most likely yes, with the caveats above.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX can be a little dense at times, so just to be clear - you're saying there's not a real health risk with 'using' the Juice Plus capsules (are you familiar with them? They're whole, pure fruit and veggy) and the Raspberry Mango supplement, is that correct?

Juice plus has no risk, I have used them for years.

Things like raspberry ketone and green tea extract are not studies a lot, so some caution is advised.

No more than 200 to 300 mg of green tea extract should be taken in a day.

I would not use more than one weight loss herbal product at a time, this is also being prudent.
And your doctor should know what you are using.