Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

My eating habits have changed and I would like to go over a

My eating habits have changed and I would like to go over a few things with a dietician.
Category: Medical
Expert:  jbmd replied 1 year ago.

jbmd :

Would you like to discuss with a doctor interested and experienced in nutrition or a dietitian? If a dietitian, this needs to be directed to "Health" so dietitians can see the question. Medical is for medical doctors mostly. Please tell me and I'll mark it "miscategorized" and ask it be transferred. Thanks.

JACUSTOMER-bwd9jzsp- :

Thanks a lot. I'd prefer to talk to a dietician.

jbmd :

I sent a "miscategorized request" to the moderators. I will now opt out and you can await their message/re-categorization.

Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Camille, a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from an other one of our professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Camille~Moderator

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I can clarify. The error was mine. I requested a consult with a dietician but sent my request to 'medical'. A doctor contacted me and explained it to me and said he'd send my request back to a moderator. So, I am waiting to hear from a dietician. No one has yet addressed my question. Thanks very much.

HI, I am not certain we have a Dietician, but we do have many Doctors and Nurses with Nutrition experience. Thank you for your patience as I continue to search for the right professional to assist you:-)
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I am board certified in internal medicine and integrative medicine with advanced training in therapeutic diets.

What is your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks very much.

I use a good quality muesli pita bread (210 calories/4 grams fibre/6 grams protein). I make a sandwich with it using 1-2 ounces of goat cheese and a thick slice of tomato. I have it with a cup of black coffee.

I have the above for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I also eat a bowl of oatmeal with a banana and a bit of milk once or twice a day. Occasionally I have an apple or an orange. I drink lots of water.

Once a week or so, I try to have a couple of eggs or a piece of fish.

I also occasionally have a good quality protein bar.

I would very much appreciate knowing what you think. Thank you.

CAn you tell me a typical day...what you eat at each meal specifically
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

5:00 am Pita bread toasted with goat cheese and tomato. Coffee

7:30 am Oatmeal with banana.

11:00 am: Pita bread toasted with goat cheese and tomato. Coffee

2:30 pm. Pita bread toasted with goat cheese and tomato. Coffee

6:00 pm Apple with a Protein Bar.

8:30 pm Oatmeal with a banana.

OK
Terrible diet.
There is almost nothing in the way of nutrient density...phytonutrient, which we know are the building blocks of long term health.

This diet you are doing is pro inflammatory.

It would be OK short term...it might promote weight loss for a while.

But it is not nutritious at all.

A nutrient dense diet is far better and can be completely vegetarian.

Or as vegetarian as you like.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What do you recommend I add to make it nutrient-rich? What foods would give me the most bang for my buck? In other words, what's the least I could eat and still be getting a healthy diet.

I am not looking to lose weight. I just don't like food preparation, and my tastes have become very, very narrow. I have a sweet tooth, but otherwise very little interests me.

I would love to have a food plan that tells me what choices to make that require very little preparation, and is not a lot of food, just good food. Can you help me?

Thank you.

I can not help you with your food preparation....but it is very easy to keep it simple...steam some veggies for example.

Consider the order of importance of nutrient dense foods.
A nutrient dense diet.

The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like this
leafy greens
green veggies
other veggies
whole fruit, beans and peas
Whole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refined
Seeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.
A little tofu or tempeh daily
A little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurt

The soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.
See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.

Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc