Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

I jumped out of bed and since then I have this excurciating

I jumped out of bed and since then I have this excurciating pain from my groin area and the back end between hip and tailbone area, and a pain down the side of my leg and front of my leg, and now there is a numbness between my knee and ankle and I have tried accupucture and have been using hotwater bottle and ice pads, and voltarine cream, accupucture worked for abit as with the hotwater bottle and ice pads. I want to no if there is someone I can go to like will a chiropractor help rid me of this pinched nerve or pulled muscle that I have. I am at wits end, it is now been a week and it gets really painful when I first wake up and after about a few minutes it eases off. Please tell me what I can do or what I am doing wrong and who to go to, to get rid of this pain.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

I am Dr.Das and I hope I am able to help you with your medical problem today.

You seem to have developed a muscle sprain with added Sciatic.

A muscle sprain occurs due to a mild injury or trauma or sudden movement. Sciatic ocurs when the sciatic nerve gets compressed by a a muscle or ligament .

In your case, the inflamed muscle is pressing and pinching the sciatic nerve.

The main treatment here is slow gentle exercises to help stretch the muscle . This will relieve the compression.

Also taking anti-inflammatory medicines like Ibuprofen and applying a hot pack for 10 minutes twice a day will help.

Please consult a chiropractor - he/she will with relaxing the muscles.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What kind of excercises do I and am I do more damage with using the cold pack. I have 600 milagrams of Ibuprofen is that to much to take and how often should I take the Ibuprofen.

A cold pack needs to be used when the injury is fresh. Now after 1 week, a hot pack will work better. But no, you will not be causing any damage with the cold pack, it will just not be very effective.

400 mg of ibuprofen taken three times a day will work best.

Exercises which help stretch the muscles of the hips and lower back such as touching the toes, side ways stretch of the body, standing with legs apart and then bending side to side will help.

A physiotherpist or chiropractor will be able to examine you on the correct exercises after examining you.

Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.