Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I have been on Effexor 225 mg for four years with no issues.

I have been on Effexor 225 mg for four years with no issues. I have been having weird side effect since Sunday, first very depressed now I have a headache and a foggy feeling. I am having problems with concentration and I am shifting between sad, depressed and agitated. I am not sure if I have too much serotonin or not enough.
The only thing that has changed is I have started on VSL probiotics 3 times a day.
Thank you for requesting me

Why are you taking the Effexor?

Have you had these symptoms before?

Do you take any other medications (including over-the-counter medicines)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Genetic depression since I was 20 with occasional anxiety. I had similar symptoms a couple of years ago when I was not able to get my medicine due to a mix up at doctors office and pharmacy.

Take motrin maybe once a month after tough workout.

Did you miss any doses?

Did you switch to a generic version of Effexor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I do not believe I missed any doses. I am careful to set them out in the morning.

Yes it is the generic version that I have been on for quite some time. I am not sure if it is the same manufacturer....that might make a difference with fillers, etc. Yes?

Yes - potentially, if you switch from one generic to another brand, you can have a different rate of absorption. This is more common in sustained release versions (XR, SR or ER) versions of medications.

The symptoms that you describe could be caused by a relative decrease in the dose (caused by less complete absorption).

I would urge you to contact your physician ASAP to discuss these symptoms.