Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I had my gall bladder removed and a hiatal hernia repaired

I had my gall bladder removed and a hiatal hernia repaired in April. I had been experiencing shortness of breath for years prior to that and had gone through all the tests with a heart specialist and also a lung specialist with nothing found other than my hiatal hernia. 10 days ago I developed an intestinal virus which put me down for quite awhile. I am experiencing severe shortness of breath which seems to happen after I have eaten and then try to walk or do any kind of physical activity. I am also having light yellow colored bowel movements. Is there anything I should be concerned about?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

I am sorry you are having severe shortness of breath after you eat.

sometimes after big meals, your stomach expands and this puts pressure on your diaphram and it can be harder to take a deep breath after large meals.

have you had pulmonary function testing done by a pulmonologist to check for narrowing of the airways and reactive asthma ? I take it that the lung specialist performed a pumonary function testing for you with and without bronchodilators (where they give you an inhailer and retest your lungs to see if your lungs improve)

you should have that pulmonary function testing after a meal and see if they can see poorer lung function after you eat.

after you eat, also all the blood can flow to your stomach and so sometimes it can be a bad idea to exercise or strain your muscles after you eat.

are you eating big meals?

have you tried eating smaller meals?

hvae you had a CT scan of your lungs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes they did a CT scan on me and that is when they found the hiatal hernia. I don't recall having a pulmonary function test done. It was quite a few years ago when those tests were done. I was hoping the hiatal hernia was what was causing the shortness of breath but it doesn't seem as though it made any difference. I have tried eating smaller meals. With my job, I have to walk paperwork to different departments and that is when I have problems with the breathing. Even getting out of the car will trigger the shortness of breath. I am just at the end of my rope dealing with this.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
a pulmonary function test is when you breath as hard and as fast into a tube which is connected to a computer which measures the amount of air you can blow out of your lungs.

this can check for narrowing of your airways and poor oxygen defusion capacity.

do you smoke?

if you haven't had this breathing test where they coach you to breath into the tube as hard and fast as possible, I would see the pulmonary lung specialist and get this PFT or pulmonary function testing soon to check on how good your lungs are and if there is narrowing of your airways.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.