Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My son is a type 1 diabetic that has had 2 surgeries to remove

My son is a type 1 diabetic that has had 2 surgeries to remove his pinkie toe. The site of the ulcer is still seeping. He is under clinic care at Elmhurst Hospital in Queens. I have just discovered that both his legs up to the calves are as red as tomato soup. He said this has happened before and that he just needs to stay off them. He's 53 yrs old and refuses to go to the hospital. Please tell me if I'm over reacting.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

I understand your concern.

Mysticdoc :

Redness of the legs is likely caused by the peripheral vascular disease.

Mysticdoc :

The color change is due to the delayed blood flow in the legs.

Mysticdoc :

Staying off the feet does help with the symptoms.

Mysticdoc :

However, further evaluation is necessary to locate the blockage in the leg blood vessels.

Mysticdoc :

This is probably the reason why he also had the toe ulcers --and the toe needed to be removed ( due to the decreased blood circulation).

Mysticdoc :

Although not urgent if there is no pain or swelling, this should be evaluated by a vascular surgeon soon.

Mysticdoc :

In case, there is blockage in the blood vessel, bypass graft surgery may be required to establish the blood flow to the legs.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Hi there,
Mysticdoc : I understand your concern.
Mysticdoc : Redness of the legs is likely caused by the peripheral vascular disease.
Mysticdoc : The color change is due to the delayed blood flow in the legs.
Mysticdoc : Staying off the feet does help with the symptoms.
Mysticdoc : However, further evaluation is necessary to locate the blockage in the leg blood vessels.
Mysticdoc : This is probably the reason why he also had the toe ulcers --and the toe needed to be removed ( due to the decreased blood circulation).
Mysticdoc : Although not urgent if there is no pain or swelling, this should be evaluated by a vascular surgeon soon.
Mysticdoc : In case, there is blockage in the blood vessel, bypass graft surgery may be required to establish the blood flow to the legs.
Mysticdoc : Best wishes,
This is the link to my profile: