Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

I am a 68 year old male with no previous problems with bowl

I am a 68 year old male with no previous problems with bowl movements, etc. in that region.
For the past year or so, after every bowl movement (usually on the soft side) I have followed by a good wipe & cleaning of the area, I will later on have discharges that soil my underwear which causes me much frustration. I do also have quite a bit of gas and wonder if my farting is causing this discharge and how I can prevent this from happening.
This also happens even if my BM is harder than normal.
Please suggest something I can do to prevent this.
Hello from ja

I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and integrative medicine and I can help you with this and any follow up questions. I cover a lot of ground and might give you an answer or ask for information, but use reply to communicate with me for questions or added details.

This is actually a potentially important and even serious situation.
Let me ask you....have you had a colonoscopy?
If so , when and what findings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had two colonoscopies in the past; one about 10 years ago and another one less than a year ago. A polyp was removed on the last colonoscopy with negative results. Otherwise all was okay.

Tell me what you eat at each meal on a typical day
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Breakfast - coffee, mostly yogurt with blueberries, granola and honey & usually a piece of fruit.

Lunch - could be almost anything, e.g., small salad & cup of meat gumbo; or a hamburger with fries or chips; or a meal with fish or other seafood; etc.

Dinner - a variety of things such as fish with vegetables & a salad or meat with veg. & salad.

Each evening I do have a couple or more of glasses of wine. Occasionally I may have liquor or beer instead of wine.

The most common cause of this problem is a lack of soluble fiber in the diet, sort of a chronic slow stool or constipation.
Your diet is not adequate

What I would do is add daily
peeled apples
cooked and ground flax seed
Pealed and steamed veggies.
Oat bran
Stewed fruit.

And eat much more a cooked whole food, vegetarian type diet in general, as much as possible.

A product called colon care by Twin Lab is soluble fiber with pre biotics.
Eat probiotics as well.

Have the stool checked for giardia, a parasite, which can be chronic and cause your symptoms.

I am assuming no damage to the anal sphincter, no spinal injury....

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.