Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

If I have celiac and stopped eating gluten for a week would

If I have celiac and stopped eating gluten for a week would symptoms like loss of appetite have disappeared by now? Also is microscopic blood in stool a symptom?

I can appreciate your concern.

In coeliac disease, complete cessation of the inflammatory process can take upto 3 weeks after taking care of diet.

You would expect appetite to recover by about three weeks on the average.

But blood in stools should disappear in a week.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am also bloated. I feel chills and have had diahhera for two months. Any thoughts?
This could be coeliac disease.

But other things to consider are protozoal infection like giardiasis.

Discuss this with your doctor. Multiple stool cultures are often required to detect giardiasis.

Inflammatory bowel disorders like Crohn's and ulcerative colitis also need to be ruled out. Discuss with your doctor about doing a colonoscopy.

Are you satisfied with my answer? Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm scared it could cancer
No, not likely.

Not the typical symptoms of cancer. Besides considering your age it is unlikely.

But do discuss with your doctor about doing a colonoscopy which can rule this out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Oh good. I have no appetite, chills, diahhera, sore toungue. Swollen lymph nodes on neck that decreased in size but still there, I had a flue that lasted a week about two months ago that came with the nodes and rash on the back of my neck. Rash is done fever down. Thyroid was elevated but now normal. What do you think? Also had been diagnosed with strep g on my toungue
Infections like Infectious Mononucleosis need to be ruled out.

Besides this, giardiasis as I said, inflammatory bowel disease, diverticular disease, microscopic colitis and malabsorption syndromes like coeliac as you have intuited are the differential diagnoses here.

Discuss all these with your doctor. Investigations like colonoscopy and stool culture are needed for this.

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, please rate my service.