Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

hello, i had a mrsa screening test done last tuesday afternoon,

hello,

i had a mrsa screening test done last tuesday afternoon, it's been a week, does this mean bad news?

it was a nasal swab
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

Hi. My name isXXXXX completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

RickMD :

I would say that you don't have anything to worry about if they have not called you by now.

RickMD :

I'm sure if you called them they would be happy to give you more information.

RickMD :

If you have any problems you can follow their recommendations or the recommendations of mysticdoc, whom you recently chatted with.

RickMD :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Doctor,

I just got off the phone with them, and they said that the results aren't back yet. Do they usually take this long?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doctor,

I do have another question. Sometimes I get a feeling as if my left eye is dry, I feel like I have an eyelash or little particles in my eye. When I get that I sometimes get pain or pressure in my left temple closest to that eye. Sometimes, the pain/pressure progresses to the top of my head on the left.

Leslie,

It sounds like you are suffering from an anterior segment/tear film issue. Many times, for all sorts of reasons, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

I understand that this treatment seems a bit "too low tech" to be of value, but after 2 decades of clinical practice, I can assure you (even from personal experience :) that it, does indeed, work.

Does this make sense to you?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doctor,

I am in front of the computer quite often. I feel like this happens when I am in front of the computer or stressed....Does that cause this as well? Also, my headaches were of concern but does that mean that it is all related to my eye?

Leslie,

Yes, with the issues I discussed above it is common for things to be worse when at the computer. It can even cause headaches.

While not everything may be completely caused by your eye issues, it sure could make the headaches etc worse.

Now. As a person who has asked over 90 questions, I am sure I do not have to remind you about the importance of mashing the positive feedback button. One thing you many not be aware of, however, is how much fun the button labeled "excellent" is to push ;)

Take care and I hope you feel better soon.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC