Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Will Tylenol #3 help severe peptic ulcer pain

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Since how long are you diagnosed for peptic ulcer?
What other treatment have you taken to treat the cause of peptic ulcer?
Is there any other known medical illness?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is my son who was diagnosed about 3 years ago. He tested positive for H. Pylori and did the course of treat ment but was not retested. He took Prevacid for 6 weeks but still has these flare-ups that are so bad that he goes to the ER but really doesn't get any help there. The attacks last 6 to 8 hours.

Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

Tylenol #3 contains acetaminophen and codeine.This does not help to treat the symptoms of pain of peptic ulcers.Infact this can increase the pain.

Depending on what caused your ulcers, your doctor may prescribe one or more of the following medicines:

-A proton pump inhibitor (PPI) or histamine receptor blocker (H2 blocker) to reduce stomach acid and protect the lining of your stomach and duodenum

-One or more antibiotics to kill an H. pylori infection.

-A medicine that contains bismuth subsalicylate, such as Pepto-Bismol, to coat the ulcers and protect them from stomach acid

H. pylori peptic ulcers are treated with drugs that kill the bacteria, reduce stomach acid, and protect the stomach lining.Most of the treatment regimens include a medication called a proton pump inhibitor.Two antibiotics are generally recommended.You need this anti H.pylori kit.With this the bacteria will be eradicated.

Two antibiotic medications such as clarithromycin (Biaxin), amoxicillin, tetracycline, or metronidazole (Flagyl) for 14 days are usually required.

Recurrence of H.pylori is common & its complete eradication is required for complete cure.

So I advice for your son to consult the doctor for antibiotics & prescription medications to treat the h.pylori infection.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you for your business!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there anything he can take to relieve the pain now?

Dear customer,

To get relief he can take tab.Ranitidine(Zantac) 150 mg twice a day.Take Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals.Both these are available as over the counter without a prescription.

For complete treatment,he needs to consult the doctor & then prescription medications will be prescribed accordingly.

Hope this helped.

Thank you for your business!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert