Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD

my wife had chemo embolization on May 7, 2013. She experienced

my wife had chemo embolization on May 7, 2013. She experienced bad side effects which has effected her platelets/very low running from 10, 000 to 13,000. At 10,000 they give her transfusions. Her blood count is also low. what can be done to help increase these levels.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

Chemo-embolization or chemotherapy is known to cause decrease in the platelet levels. At a level of 10-13,000, your wife may suffer from bruises but serious bleeding usually occurs when the level falls below 10.

The standard treatment is to give platelet transfusions when the level goes below 10. Sometimes repeated infusions may be necessary to keep up the levels.

But blood cell growth factors are nowadays available which can increase the production of white blood cells, red blood cells as well as platelets. These can be prescribed at any time to increase the blood cell levels.

Neumega (oprevelkin) is the blood cell growth factor that is approved by the FDA for the prevention of chemotherapy-induced thrombocytopenia. Oprevelkin is generally well tolerated by patients, except that some may develop edema or fluid retention in the legs.

Please consult your doctor - it is possible that Neumega will help increase your wife's blood cell counts.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX am wondering why they did not offer this Neumega while she is in the hospital. She will be leaving the hospital tomorrow. My wife was treated for liver tumor.

My wife will be seen by her doctor for follow up. Is there a reason why the doctor would not want to give my wife this medicine that you named?

The docotr's have not as yet advised Neumega because the blood counts can come back to normal in 4-8 weeks after the chemo and teh drug is then no longer required. Also your wife's platelet count has not as yet fallen to a critical level. It will be better to wait and see if the level recovers spontaneously before any specific treatment is prescribed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Another question please. I was at the hospital earlier today and the doctor said her red blood count was 6.2. It goes up and down, what do you recommend we ask the doctor to prescribe if the red blood count goes a bit lower. My wife has been through a lot, she can eat and talk good, they gave her Lasix to reduce the extra fluid in her legs.

Should they give her a blood transfusion and at what level should they. Hopefully the platelets eventually go up. Is my wife at risk of bleeding to death during this time of low red blood count?

At the moment, your wife does not need any treatment since she doe not have any specific symptoms related to her blood counts. It will be better to wait and see if they stabilize.

She does not need a blood transfusion now. Blood transfusions will be needed only if the platelet count falls below 10,000 or if she bleeds. And no, the risks of her bleeding to death is less with a count above 10,000.