Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I recently had a cat scan and was told I have nephron calcinosis

Customer Question

I recently had a cat scan and was told I have nephron calcinosis what is that? Is there reason to be concerned ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

Hi. My name isXXXXX completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

RickMD :

Was this an incidental finding or were you having symptoms?

RickMD :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

I have had for a year blood in urine the dr sdays noithing to worry about however I recently had a cat scan staqting nehpro calcinosis Is this something I ned to worry about Iam hysterical I get pain atimes

RickMD :

Ok

RickMD :

There is no need to get scared at this point.

Customer:

what is that exactly?

RickMD :

There are many causes for nephrocalcinosis; sometimes it is just an incidental finding on CT scan and xray.

Customer:

and the pain from belly to hip s that from the kidney?

Customer:

kidney stones

RickMD :

Nephrocalcinosis is the deposition of very fine calcium and calcium salts through out the kidney tissue (parenchmal tissue). With time a calcium mass can form in the kidney.

RickMD :

That pain could be from your kidney, yes.

Customer:

how is this treated?

RickMD :

This condition is different then the usual kidney stones that friends of yours may have had.

RickMD :

The underlying cause needs to be identified and it is treated that way.

Customer:

I have had kidney stones in the past, Is a calcium mass like cancer? I do not have a thyroid, I had thyroiud cancer

Customer:

what are some of the underlying causes?

RickMD :

No. It is not like, nor is it usually related to, cancer. No worries there.

Customer:

Thank God

Customer:

what can be some of the concerns?

RickMD :

one of the largest concerns is that your kidney may start to have problems doing its job....

Customer:

renal failure

RickMD :

The best thing for you at this point is to get hooked up with a renal specialist or a urologist for a complete workup

RickMD :

Yes. That is correct.

Customer:

iam mon at John Hopkins Hospital I am extremely scared

RickMD :

But, like I said, many times nephrocalcinosis is just an incidental finding on cat scan and nothing needs to be done.

RickMD :

You will get the best care possible at JH :)

Customer:

they said very mild case so far

RickMD :

That is very good news. It is always better to find out about these things sooner rather than later.

Customer:

I suppose keeping on top of it

Customer:

thank you

RickMD :

You should do your best not to panic, enjoy the rest of the week and this weekend and just know that at John's Hopkins everything that modern medicine can do will be done.

RickMD :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Hi Ileanna,

I was just thinking about you and wondering how things went at John's Hopkins on Monday.

I hope the news is good and you are on your way to being back to normal.

Let me know if I can do anything else for you. Take care.

Dr Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks! Im ok didn't think it was tbat but over read of cat scan I have to see obgyn and gastrointestinal still in pain not sure if cyst or colitis im a mess

Glad to hear you are on the right track, even if things aren't totally figured out yet....

Let me know what the GI an OBGYN have to say.

Have a good day :)

Dr Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well blood work came back my parathyroid is high 77 which they think contributes to the kidney stone issue all went wll with obgyn nothing there. getting very depressed and discouraged. treatment for parathyroid is a surgical removal I already had a total thyroidectomy from cancer , iam so upset, colonscopy next wek and endoscopy.

I can fully understand how you would be upset, especially after fighting thyroid cancer.

I recently had a colonoscopy and was given a prep called "go lightly"....let me warn you: Their is nothing light about how you go after drinking that stuff ;-)

I hope that the remainder of your tests turn out OK and they can fix things up for you.

Do your best not to let the dogs git 'cha down :)

Dr Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well saw a surgeon today I have as well s femur herniacausing all this mess on top of it stlstomach pain I give up

Ileanna,

What does the surgeon suggest you do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

they put me on linzess for ibs and they are repairing the hernia taking vitamin d for it is low from parathyroid and just monitor that I should start to feel better by end of month and get my life back!!!!

Ileanna,

That sounds like a very good plan. Hopefully you will not need parathyroid surgery :)

Let me know if I can help you again in the future. Have a great weekend