Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My mom is on a host of antiepileptic drugs: Dilantin, Lamictal,

My mom is on a host of antiepileptic drugs: Dilantin, Lamictal, Tegretol, and ONFI. She had rectal bleeding at the beginning of the month and now has severe diarrhea even ocurring when she has a seizure (she's had 3 tonic clonic in the last 3 weeks).

The nurse at her neurologist told us that this was not related to the drugs and was something related to her GI only. Need guidance...
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

Hi. My name isXXXXX completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

RickMD :

How long has she had the diarrhea and rectal blood?

Customer:

Hi Dr. Rick- she had rectal bleeding for about 3-4 days and the diarrhea has been occurring since then. She's on so many medications I'm concerned about toxicity.

Customer:

This has been going on for one month now

Customer:

she has to eat with the medications or she feels sick, and she gets sick after eating... little bit of a cycle

RickMD :

Is her stool really dark or tar-like in consistency?

RickMD :

Also, does she have any other symptoms such as abdominal/stomach pain, pain worse after or before eating etc?

RickMD :

Are you still there?

Customer:

I am...

RickMD :

Could you see my two posts above?

Customer:

I'm not sure about the dark/tarry stools- I know that she has abdominal pain and that her stomach hurts basically all the time

RickMD :

Ok.

Customer:

when she does eat something it stays in her system "for like five minutes"

RickMD :

At this point, especially since your mom's neurologists nurse does not feel that these symptoms are related to her medication (although I do not, personally, feel that a nurse is the one to make this determination....) I feel you should get your mom in to see a gastroenterologist ASAP

RickMD :

I think that would be the next step. This persistent diarrhea and blood needs to be evaluated.

Customer:

Okay- thank you

Customer:

I'll see what I can do!

RickMD :

One other thing, how much blood was present with the bleeding episodes? Was the blood bright red?

RickMD :

My pleasure. :)

RickMD :

I'm still here....our chats "crossed" inside the computer :)

Customer:

my mom said that it was "worse than her period" (which after 4 kids...), I don't live near her and my brother is with her (but not very helpful) and she said she looked so bad he almost took her to the ER

RickMD :

Ya...she needs to see a GI doctor sooner than later. If that amount of bleeding is still going on, and she can't see a doctor today or tomorrow, your brother should take her to the ER....especially if she is having any other symptoms at all. Better safe than sorry...

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes it does, definitely

RickMD :

I hope you mom feels better soon. Have a good day.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

other bizarre stuff happening as well- like this morning she woke up with a collapsed vein

Customer:

I think the ER is in order

RickMD :

I think so too....

RickMD :

And then she can be directed for followup after the ER visit.

Customer:

all right, thank you Dr. Rick, have a good rest of your day

RickMD :

Thanks. You too :)

RickMD :

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hi Shannon,

I am on call for my group and just came home from the ER and my thoughts turned toward your mom.

I hope whatever was going with her GI system has been figured out and she is well on her way to being back to normal. Please give her my best.

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you in the future. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick MD FACS