Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I was diagnosed with CEBVS (Chronic Epstein Barr Virus Syndrome)

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with CEBVS (Chronic Epstein Barr Virus Syndrome) in 1987 by Doctor Frederick J. Barr in College Park, Maryland, whom has since retired. Doctor Barr by this time may even be deceased since he was my Mother's internist when she was attending the University of Maryland. My Mother is 80 years old now. At the time I was 27 yrs of age. I am now 53.

If you understand this disease you know I have been through the wringer several times by now. I have also been turned down multiple times by SSA, however, I am asking pertinent questions of an Attorney on this same site, and may receive answers that may help alleviate my ineligibility status regarding disability income from SSA. It may be my parents have been disqualifying me by claiming me as a dependent on their income tax statements. However, that is another matter.

Since 1987, the name of Chronic Epstein Barr Virus Syndrome has changed multiple times. It has been called CFS (which use to include several other unrelated illnesses, such as, Fibromyaglia which I do not have), and has also been called CFIDS (a misnomer since due to a mutation in white blood cells caused by Epstein Barr my white blood cells are immortal and attack anything that enters my body making the immune system actually hyperactive). On the CDC webpage the glandular fever is no longer mentioned, however, it is the body's way of dealing with what is considered a foreign contaminant in the body resulting in muscle aches, fever, some pain, and sometimes even debilitating migraines (headaches, and adult allergies have since been corrected by 7 yrs of anti-fungal therapy begun at age 42 that can be done with lipid replacement therapy - gallons of extra virgin olive oil on 3 salads per day plus a few terms of ketoconazole medication for months at a time - it worked).

What Dr. Barr told me was I have CEBVS (1987). He said it was a lifetime disease. While Epstein Barr may be what causes infectious mononucleosis, the syndrome portion was attributed to bacteria that can have their own bacteria that can infect them, and ride piggy back when infecting a human being. I was told there was nothing that could be done about it, and to live my life. I was also told that in about 20 years time the virus would eventually affect a particular part of my body that could not be predicted in advance, and that I would display symptoms of lymphoma well before this happened. He also stated that lymphoma did not necessarily mean that I would contract cancer too, but it was a possibility that could happen in the future after lymphoma manifested.

In Asia, today, a chronic Epstein Barr infection is known as CAEBV (Chronic Active Epstein Barr Virus), and for Asians is considered to be a fatal disease. I am Caucasian (only partly Asian) and have exhibited multiple symptoms for 26 years. After an injury due to taking Zoloft for 10 years that happened in 2004 (when I stopped forever taking Zoloft) I developed hard lumps in my right testicle that eventually led to my being admitted to UMMC for chemotherapy treatment on April 8, 2011. The Zoloft related injury was due to the side effect known as "prolonged ejaculation" that resulted in a blockage that ballooned something in my groin upon ejaculating: nothing came out. There was considerable pain that went away, but to this day can still be faintly detected as a discomfort. Today I have a blood clot near this area, but the clot itself could be due to an infection of the cecal valve during an infection of the appendix one year before entering the hospital for cancer treatment. I had been so disgusted with doctors telling me there was nothing wrong with me that I did not seek treatment for the appendicitis, and took large amounts of Gotu Kola to prevent a rupture of the appendix which worked, but did not prevent a rupture of the peritonal tissues near the cecum itself that resulted in mega-colon in that area and a hernia that does display on a CT scan. (The actual hernia was due to being attacked and involved in a tussle at the time of infection.) The hospital informed me of the clot, and the hernia, but since they did not take a history of my symptoms only I knew why those problems showed on the scan.

As far as I am concerned, CFS, and CFIDS are both alternate names for the Syndrome portion of CEBVS. Epstein Barr virus itself is now known to be an oncogenic virus that was first discovered in a patient with Burkett's Lymphoma in 1965 (or thereabouts).

Now to my concern.

At the time I first contracted this disease I was completely incapacitated for a period of 8 months. At some point I had written to a support group that sent me a hoard of information weighing about 3 pounds in a single large envelope. There must have been over 50 brochures within that package. In one of those pamphlets was one stating that Marijuana was the only known substance that was actually effective in treating my disease. There were also numerous other pamphlets that stated many other thing
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

Hi. My name isXXXXX completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

RickMD :

Thank you for that informative post.

RickMD :

Let me answer your questions in order:

RickMD :

1. Yes. In every state that it is not legal to prescribe medical marijuana doctors, usually with a special form, can prescribe this drug for you. Here is an article that reviews the current state of affairs concerning Marylands marijuana laws:

RickMD :

2. Here is how you can find a doctor and a dispensing pharmacy for medical marijuana anywhere in the USA. Just enter your zip code:

RickMD :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
RickMD says:
6:51 AM
6:51 AM
Thank you for that informative post.
6:53 AM
Let me answer your questions in order:
6:55 AM
6:56 AM
http://www.eastbayexpress.com/LegalizationNation/archives/2013/04/11/how-to-buy-maryland-medical-marijuana-first-wait-three-years
6:56 AM
6:56 AM
http://medicalmarijuana.com/medical-marijuana-doctor-directory
6:57 AM

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

(there is an update to this response that apears at the bottom after my signature)

Hi Dr. Rick,

I thank you very much for your time. The information you have given me, from reading the text of the link titles, appears to be exactly what I needed. I anticipate no problems approaching my Primary Care Physician with this if I go armed with the information I expect to find. As yet, I have not actually gone to the links, but on first glance they appear pertinent and even better than I was hoping for.

I appreciate you feel my information was informative. While I am not a Dr. myself, I am a trained analyst in systems in the areas of Physics and Computer Programming/Information Technologies. My information is an accumulation of 26 years of observations, studies, and experimentation upon myself.

I provide this information in the hopes that others in the future may be helped by it. Otherwise, I could have asked two simple questions without spending a couple of hours doing the write up. My apologies for the formatting of the text, but JustAnswer only allows so much text.

Being as I am on SSI with only $410/month to spend per month for everything would a tip of $30 be sufficient? I want you to be happy too.

Please let me know. You will, of course, receive the highest possible rating from me, and I appreciate the timely response. I'm used to being blown off by others that are overworked leaving them simply disinterested to hear anything. I assume that is why not a single doctor in the last 20 years has actually taken the time to ask about my history.

Kind regards,

XXXXX XXXXXX

UPDATE: 11:15 am Monday June 3, 2013

I read both links you gave me.
One is actually a pessimistic article regarding the recent passage of Maryland's new medical marijuana laws. Re-reading the title of the article says it best...
"First, wait 3 years." So, no help there.
The other link you gave me was to find a medical marijuana doctor in my area. There are no doctors within the database on that site within 100 miles of me. I am in area code 20784. The database does not allow a search futher than 100 miles from me. Also, states do not issue cards unless the patient is a resident of that state.
You mentioned a form that is usually required to be filled out by a doctor in order for medical marijuana to be reccomended. Do you know where I may find this form for the state of Maryland?
If you do not know, please say so: you still get an excellent rating and a tip. I should note, however, that my original questions actually did not get answered, but I do appreciate your time nonetheless.
I suppose I should prepare to move. Then again, if I do have a form to show my doctor, and if he is willing to sign it, I could show it to potential employers, and would be limited to a $100 fine if I am arrested. Since I have never actually been arrested it might not happen, but I would not wish to tempt fate. Now to find a piece of wood and practice a superstitious ritual. Knock on wood.
Michael,

Yes, that amount would be fine for a tip. On, or after, you press the positive feedback button, you should see a place to enter the tip amount.

I wish you the very best.

Have a good day.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Michael,

Just to make sure things are clear, you need to press the positive feedback button (the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push :) before I am compensated for assisting you.

I noted that your previous questions do not show that you gave positive feedback.

Once again, have a good day.

Dr Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Michael,

I just noted your follow up comments.

The forms are mailed to the doctors directly. They are not available online or to the public. I have a form for my State which came to me via certified mail. It is only good in my State.

Based on the current position for the State of Maryland, it does appear that your best course of action is to relocate.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Dr. Rick,

Thank you for alerting me to the ratings button. I was under the impression that I was supposed to rate you after we were done. My apologies.

I went back through our discussions and gave you an "excellent" every place there were ratings icons.

Your last response to me regarding recommendation forms are mailed directly to the Dr's office is a most satisfactory conclusion to our discussion. It also makes alot of good sense since there could be those that might try to forge a Dr's signature. It makes good sense.

Since I am happy with you, and you seem to be happy with me, in the future I will ask for you.

Kindest regards,

XXXXXXX XXXXXX

Ps: I especially appreciate your alerting me to the fact I may rate you multiple times. I was communicating with an attorney (Andrea) last night, and only gave her the one-time final rating. Now I know to go back and finish clicking on all available icons. I'm sure Andrea will also appreciate your bringing attention to this matter.

My very best wishes to you. Bless you.

Michael,

Thank you for the feedback.

I will be happy to assist you in the future. Just ask for "Dr. Rick"

Have a good day.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Good Morning Michael,

I noted in the que that you had contact me, but I do not see any new information.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Rick,

There might be a bug in the programming software. To my knowledge, we had completed our session, and you should have received the $30 bonus I promised, and you said was satisfcatory to you.

I have identified 4 programming errors in the software so far which makes me believe this contact you saw from me with no information is, in fact, an error within the system.

Thank you again. In the future if I have any medical questions I will be sure to ask for you.

Michael

Michael,

I did receive the bonus. Thank you very much.

In reviewing our conversations I do not see any posts that are blank. I'm not sure what you are noticing on your screen, but thanks for finding the software programming errors.

I look forward to hearing from you again in the future should the need arise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Rick,

I think I know what happened regarding the "missing question", and your not being able to find anything blank.

During our writings I was naive, and unaware that this session is most likely to appear in the database of expert answers. I had signed my full name at one time in closing a correspondence to you.

I saw an alert from you in my in-box today. When scolling down through our "talks" I noted the my signature had been "xxxxxxx xxxxxx'd" out by someone named, Sarah.

So..this is probably not a glitch in the software at all, and is probably operating as it was programmed to do by alerting you. That's probably why you didn't see anything blank. I am making assumptions here.

There would need to be a subroutine, or a few lines of code, added to the existing software so experts could know that an administrator working on the system had made an "edit" to the prose of our converse in order to protect my security since I had signed my full name in a response to you.

Again, I am making assumptions, but for me that clears up any confusion about why you thought I had contacted you when, in fact, I had not.

Thank you for asking though. I hope you have a great day, and an even better tomorrow.

Michael XXXXXX (Lol) :)

Michael,

Yes, you are correct. There are staff,as well as a computer program, working at all times to protect customers personal information and sensitive data from becoming public.

It is interesting that you noticed this. Are you a high-level computer programmer?

Anyway, thanks for the heads up and, please,let me know if I can be of any further service to you in the future.

Have a good day :)

Dr Rick XXXXXXXXXXX, MD FACS lol!