Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My blood pressure is 180/91. How high can it go before it is

My blood pressure is 180/91. How high can it go before it is not safe.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!!
Your blood pressure should be controlled to 135/85. When moderately higher than this it may not be immediately dangerous but over time it may do damage to heart, kidneys, eyes, brain and blood vessels in general. For evry 20 points higher on the systolic or top number there is TWICE the relative risk if heart attack or stroke . For every 10 points higher for the diastolic pressure ( bottom number) then this also corresponds with doubling the risk per year of possible stroke or heart attack.
The bloo pressure is immediately dangerous if there is persisting value 220/ 120 or higher. This may damage kidneys, heart or other organs in short order. This would be an emergent situation if this high! So you would need to go to ER if resting BP was running that high.
At this point I would advise that you plan follow up with your doctor on the blood pressure. Keep check on BP readings about once/ twice a day. Rest in seated position for ten minutes and check. Keep a record of your readings and share these with your doctor. Average of 10, 15,20 numbers or so is more accurate.
Try to reduce your sodium / salt intake and this should help some...in the long run some regular exercise will probably help but consult your doctor first.
I hope this information helps. Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank you and best regards .
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid that during the night when I am asleep, it will go much higher. Doesn't blood pressure go up at night?
Hello again,
No it goes DOWN when you lie down and relax. So it would not be expected to up over night but rather it will go down a bit. It should be fine for you to see your doctor this week. I do think that you will probably need BP medication but as if now it is not an am emergent level.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions.
Take care,
Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice