Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I had a colonoscopy 18 days ago to investigate small amount

I had a colonoscopy 18 days ago to investigate small amount of blood in the stool. The colonosopy and biopsy showed nothing abnormal.

About 5 days after the colonoscopy I began have intermittent minor stomach pains. 1-4 out of 10 on the pain scale.

The pain moves around. Lower, upper, left, right. Sometimes a bit under the ribs and to the sides as well.

I feel it a multiple times a day.

No fever. No vomiting. I am able to eat and even have exercised a bit.

Went to the doctor 3 days ago and did a very brief abdomen exam. Felt around quick and said it was most likely stress/anxiety (which I suffer from) and a result of the colonosopcy "cleaning me out" causing "spasms."

He gave me Hyoscyamine for any pain.

For some reason I am terrified this is a very small perforation.

Is that even possible without having developed more severe symptoms in the past 2 1/2 weeks?

I am a 29 yr old male.

DR HASAN :

Hi

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

DR HASAN :

Is there any pain on pressing the abdomen?

DR HASAN :

Are you passing gas and stool?

DR HASAN :

Any vomiting?

Customer:

No pain when pressing right now, though I have had some tenderness on some days (might be from me constantly pressing my stomach every day).

Lots gas.

Passing stool - a bit of regular and then diarrhea.

No vomit. No fever.

Customer:

Sorry normal gas, not lots.

DR HASAN :

Thanks a lot for your input.

DR HASAN :

According to the description you have given, i can reassure you with confidence that perforation of any size is out of question.

DR HASAN :

The symptoms i asked for are the initial symptoms of perforation.

DR HASAN :

You are safe and not at all likely to have any perforation.

Customer:

That is good. I did not have any pain before the colonosopcy. It almost seems like IBS - can a colonoscopy cause IBS?

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your input.

DR HASAN :

Yes this can be IBS but colonoscopy can't cause IBS.

Customer:

So most likely this is stress and maybe a lack of good bacteria in the gut?

DR HASAN :

Well it can be IBS, can be stress.

DR HASAN :

but lack of good bacteria is not likely because it doesn't come all of a sudden like this.

Customer:

Yea, i have just found the timing weird because it occurred after the colonosopy. I was having some diarrhea from the procedure, but no pain.

Customer:

Hyoscyamine does seem to help

DR HASAN :

Yes that is why i am sure that there is no perforation but pain comes first.

DR HASAN :

Well you should revisit the doctor for this but don't get stressed for a perforation and this itself can help you to get rid of this.

Customer:

Okay, yes, sounds good. Just my health anxiety got the hold of me and became nervous of something serious.

Customer:

Thanks for the reassurance

DR HASAN :

If your doctor thinks that it's anxiety then he can give you anxiolytics for few days.

DR HASAN :

But there is nothing serious. You are most welcome. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer:

Thank you. You have been helpful.