Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

FOR THE PAST FIVE WEEKS I have slept very little. I been suffering

Customer Question

FOR THE PAST FIVE WEEKS I have slept very little. I been suffering very rapid and violent leg movements,
kicking the covers off of the bed, and my Wife has had to sleep in the other room. my Doctors have tried several, but none seem to work. I have lost muscle mass In my legs and 25lbs overall. what is going on?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Customer :

yes

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello

Dr. P Jyoti :

how long since you have been diagnosed with restless legs syndrome?

Customer :

over 10 years

Dr. P Jyoti :

ok. what is your present drug and how long have you been on this?

Customer :

at present am not on any drug for restless leg

Dr. P Jyoti :

ok

Dr. P Jyoti :

this is likely to be the cause of your sudden leg movements

Dr. P Jyoti :

since you have been on these drugs for a long time and are not taking anything now, it is likely that this is causing a type of rebound

Dr. P Jyoti :

i would advise you to consult your docotr at the earliest and discuss about some drug for RLS

Dr. P Jyoti :

requip or Mirapex is likely to work for you and stop these movements

Dr. P Jyoti :

one newer drug that you can discuss is Rotigotine (Neupro)

Dr. P Jyoti :

this is a new drug which has been introduced and is very effective

Dr. P Jyoti :

getting back on an appropriate medicine for RLS is necessary for you with these symptoms

Dr. P Jyoti :

discuss with your doctor

Dr. P Jyoti :

Are you satisfied with my answer? Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer :

the clonazepam was prescribed by u/penn dr to relax me so I could sleep. Have beeb on drugs mentioned in question. The dr. at u/penn tells me I do not have restless leg.

Dr. P Jyoti :

RLS is a clinical diagnosis

Dr. P Jyoti :

since you are having such severe symptoms I would not say that you do not have RLS

Customer :

explain?

Dr. P Jyoti :

since yu have been on Mirapex since a long time, this is the drug that works best for you

Dr. P Jyoti :

a clinical diagnosis means there is no test, etc that can determine whether you have RLS or not

Dr. P Jyoti :

so a doctor has to decide whether you have RLS or not more or less depending on your description of your symptoms

Dr. P Jyoti :

it is a subjective diagnosis

Customer :

2 part question

Dr. P Jyoti :

there is no objective diagnosis

Dr. P Jyoti :

hence doctor's diagnosis may not always be right

Dr. P Jyoti :

i did not get what you said, 2 part?

Customer :

how does any of my symtoms explain loss of weight and muscle mass

Dr. P Jyoti :

that would not be a part of RLS

Dr. P Jyoti :

diabetes is the most likely cause of weight and muscle loss

Dr. P Jyoti :

besides this, you need a full medical checkup

Customer :

Am scheduled to a movement disorder clinic at crozer in chester pa Tuesday 6/4

Dr. P Jyoti :

an endocrinological checkup is necessary for this

Dr. P Jyoti :

thats good, that will lead to a proper diagnosis for you

Dr. P Jyoti :

for the loss of muscle and weight, you need a full medical checkup

Customer :

explain

Dr. P Jyoti :

besides diabetes parameters, testosterone levels, thyroid levels, liver function tests, kidney function tests, cardiological tests are necessary

Dr. P Jyoti :

this will help in diagnosing any systemic cause of weight loss

Dr. P Jyoti :

discuss this with your doctor

Dr. P Jyoti :

Customer :

have had all except testosterone and thyroid

Dr. P Jyoti :

ok, get this done

Dr. P Jyoti :

low testosterone levels or thyroid abnormalities can also cause this

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer :

Dr. P Jyoti :

Dr. P Jyoti :

have this checked up, this could be the hidden cause for you

Dr. P Jyoti :

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer :

thank you for your time, but has not helped. signing off

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.