Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I am a 75-year-old male in good health (other than some well-controlled

Customer Question

I am a 75-year-old male in good health (other than some well-controlled hypertension and mild to moderate atherosclerosis). Both of my siblings died very young (ages 17 and 22) of glioblastoma and in 1974 I was asked to participate in a study of familial glio at NCI. An extract of the published study is below:

Peripheral blood chromosomal studies on two occasions showed aneuploidy in 10% of the cells, several chromatin breaks, and pulverization of 2% of the cells

Cancer. 1976 Jul;38(1):310-3.
Familial glioblastoma with hepatic focal nodular hyperplasia.
Everson RB, Fraumeni JF Jr.

QUESTION: Is the aneuploidy a stable finding? Or is it likely to have increased or decreased since 1974?

QUESTION: Is the aneuploidy likely to have any clinical significance? If so, can it be predicted?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

Hi. My name isXXXXX completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

RickMD :

Andy, Those are all very good questions. At this point, almost 40 years later, I do not believe you have to worry about the aneuploidy.

RickMD :

I feel you can be comfortable knowing that you will die of something other than the glioblastoma that took your siblings at such as young age.

RickMD :

So. To answer your questions directly:

RickMD :

1. I would be that the aneuploidy is a stable finding

Customer:

Not sure this has anything to do with internal medicine. I'm not "worried" but I am intrigued by the fact that I am so long-lived when most of the rest of my family hasn't survived past 40 (or so). I'm looking for an explanation.

RickMD :

2. I do not believe this finding has any clinical significance to your health and well being.

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

RickMD :

It might be interesting for you to contact the authors of that article and let them know you are still alive. That might be something they would like to follow up on.

Customer:

I guess so....

RickMD :

You are still alive and healthy....there is no real good explanation other than you are more fortunate then many others who were born the same year you were. :)

Customer:

Dr. Everson told me at the time that I was at significant increased risk for glio -- and that if I was ever so diagnosed, I should immediately contact NCI, where I would be treated and studied right down to my toenails.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

RickMD :

Well, contact him and see if he would like to study your toenails to see how you dodged the bullet :)

Customer:

I've kept track -- he's moved on (several times) and as far as I know is not longer involved in research. But I was careful not to buy any green bananas for about 10 years....

RickMD :

Thanks for bringing the smile to my face on this cold, rainy morning :)

RickMD :

I think you should go buy a bunch of green bananas this morning ;)

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr Rick:

I was very satisfied by our exchange a couple of days ago -- but rather irritated by the seemingly endless flow of follow-up emails, apparently generated by the website. No reflection on you.

However, you (and the site) have given me an idea: I'm going to sign up as an expert myself. I figure 30 years of defending docs in the courtroom (and teaching tort law) must have given me SOME qualifications. Retirement is getting boring.

Remind me to tell you about my syringomyelia case sometime...

Enjoy.

Andy Watson

Andy,

That is an excellent idea. Last year I hired a young,and hungry, associate and plan to retire in the next year or so.

I enjoy my time on this website and the extra cash comes in handy for beer and women expenses ;-)

When you apply, tell them that Dr. Rick sent you, it might help with the application process.

Hope to see you as an expert soon...and learn about your syrigomyelia case

Rick