Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

On 5/8 I had laparoscopic gall bladder surgery. I have had

Customer Question

On 5/8 I had laparoscopic gall bladder surgery. I have had pain in my right side ever since. It's now going 3 and a half weeks. I understand about the possible gas pain caused by the air that has to be pumped into the body during the procedure. The surgeon assures that all x-rays and other tests (I had 6 in the ER over the last week or so) show negative results. I have tried to stick to a gallbladder surgery diet but the pain persists. I have been assured that all my other organs are fine with the exception of my liver. I have cirrhosis. But I'm told that it shouldn't be causing my pain. I haven't had a drink since 4/16.
So doctor could you come up with some reason that could be causing my pain. It gets worse if I take a deep breath. I'm 71 years old. Thanks.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

I was trying to chat live with you.

This is PCS, or post cholecystectomy syndrome.

PCS is when there is persistence of the gall bladder symptom, or when there is development of new symptoms following cholecystectomy.

The pain of PCS can be due to two causes - directly related to the surgical complications, like remaining stone, biliary injury, dysmotility and choledococyst. These would have been ruled out by the tests you have done.

The other problem is due to loss of the reservoir function of the gall bladder, which causes direct leakage of bile contiuously to the intestines. This can cause gastritis and esophagitis.

I would advise - consult your surgeon again and ask about PCS. Medicines like PPI's - pantaprazole etc can help in this. Also take small, light and frequent meals, this is most important for PCS.

Discuss with your surgeon instead of going to the ER, ask about PCS.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/192761-overview

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My surgeon seems to be clueless. If I do nothing will this pain go away in time?

Yes, thats right, PCS in most cases will resolve by itself.

With time, your body will learn to adjust to the lack of reservoir function of the gall bladder.

Meanwhile, take small, light and frequent meals, this is the most important for PCS. Also talk to your doctor about using propton pump inhibitors - gastric acid blockers. You can also take Cap. Prilosec (OTC) on your own.

Thanks for the good rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. That makes me fell a little better.

Remember to come back here if you have any other questions, I and other experts on the site are always ready to help you.

You can always request for me directly or begin your question with "for Dr. P. Jyoti", I will be very happy to be requested.