Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I, in the last couple of weeks, have noticed that my heart

I, in the last couple of weeks, have noticed that my heart feels like it is skipping beats, and feels like it is getting worse. I am 37 years of age, 5'9'', 290lbs. What is happening to my heart?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello have you done any cardiac tests before?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. P Jyoti :

have you done any tests like EKG?

Customer:

I plan on going monday or tuesday. I am just trying to get a feel for what they are possibly going to tell me

Dr. P Jyoti :

well, the most likely cause of this is a benign condition called PVC

Dr. P Jyoti :

The skipped heart beat that you experience is called PVC, premature ventricular contractions.

Dr. P Jyoti :

It is a very common symptom and we are all familiar with it, and experience it in sudden moments of fear, surprise, etc.

Customer:

How bad is that?

Dr. P Jyoti :

In general, it is not a cause of worry.

Dr. P Jyoti :

no, its not bad

Dr. P Jyoti :

. It can be related to stress, too much caffeine or exercise, etc.

Customer:

So why is it doing this on a regular basis?

Dr. P Jyoti :

I would recommend that you cut down on caffeine, smoking if you are a smoker, alcohol

Customer:

Stress can cause it?

Dr. P Jyoti :

also try to rest and relax, and in general reduce the amount of stress.

Dr. P Jyoti :

yes thats right, stress is the most common cause

Customer:

I have been have anxiety lately?

Dr. P Jyoti :

Dont obsess about this thing, it wont kill you, its nothing more than what we all feel at times

Customer:

having

Dr. P Jyoti :

thats the most likely cause then

Dr. P Jyoti :

your anxiety is causing these PVC's

Customer:

I cant control my anxiety tho...

Dr. P Jyoti :

but of course a checkup is a must

Dr. P Jyoti :

other forms of cardiac arrhythmia also need to be ruled out

Customer:

Other forms?

Dr. P Jyoti :

the tests to discuss with your doctor are EKG, Halter and Event Monitor

Dr. P Jyoti :

mention these tests

Customer:

What is the worst case scenorio?

Dr. P Jyoti :

yes, like ventricular fibrillation

Customer:

Is that like a heart attack?

Dr. P Jyoti :

worst case is that it could be some arrhythmia for which you will need anti arrhythmic medicines

Dr. P Jyoti :

no, not at all

Dr. P Jyoti :

as i said, worst case is that it could be some arrhythmia for which you will need anti arrhythmic medicines

Dr. P Jyoti :

but that is very very unlikely for you

Dr. P Jyoti :

you are likely to be having PVC's and thats that

Customer:

Between my anxiety, this heart issue, and migraines, I feel as though my body hates me....

Dr. P Jyoti :

all you will need are antianxiety medicines

Dr. P Jyoti :

dont worry about it

Dr. P Jyoti :

try to keep from developing a health anxiety syndrome

Customer:

What is that?

Dr. P Jyoti :

talk to your doctor about anti anxiety medicines

Dr. P Jyoti :

these will help you

Dr. P Jyoti :

health anxiety, like hypochondriac

Dr. P Jyoti :

get yourself checked up so that you are reasurered, and also for safety

Dr. P Jyoti :

take care

Customer:

Oh, yeah, I have never had anxiety before....

Dr. P Jyoti :

Are you satisfied with my answer? Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

No and thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P Jyoti :

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.