Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I really need help! I have acute panic disorder and I am so

I really need help! I have acute panic disorder and I am so scared that I am dying right now. Yesterday I had what I think was a bout with ibs and during I had severe panic attack. Since then I keep having surges of panic and heart racing and throat feels like its closing and shaking and Im really hot then cold I feel like I cant breath. Is something seriously wrong with me?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

I can understand your feelings.

I am here to answer all your questions. Try to relax now.

Now, the first thing that you must do:

Lie down on the bed. Take a few deep breaths. Then feel your pulse and count it for one full minute.

Now tell me what your pulse rate is. We will discuss it further after that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its about 126

Ok. Thats caused by your panic attack.

What mg Ativan have you taken? What were you prescribed by your doctor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

.05mg every four hours as needed and that's what ive taken two doses since 8 am

Ok, you should not exceed that.

As you know yourself, this is a panic attack.

The best way to counter this is deep breathing.

Sit upright on the bed or yoga mat in a yoga position.

Then breathe in as deep as you can, slowly. Then breath out again slowly. Do not put strain on yourself. Just keep breathing slowly like this.

Do not get up. Just do this. I can assure you, this will bring down your panic. You will be able to control it. Try this exercise now, this will solve your problem and help you calm down.

Are you satisfied with my answer? Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So you don't think I have something wrong with my stomach that is causing this? Im sorry Im just so scared something is going to kill me. Im sorry id like to add that when I try to get up and walk I feel so shaky and off balance that's anxiety to right?

Yes, I dont think at all that anything in your stomach is killing you.

This is a panic attack, pure and simple. You are not going to die anytime soon.

The shakiness and off balance is a typical symptom of a panic attack.

Just relax. Try out the exercise I mentioned. You will find that you will get over your doomsday feelings.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.