Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

why does my daughter sleep so much

why does my daughter sleep so much
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello have any tests been done? like blood tests?

Customer:

Hello Dr. Jyoti. Yes, I have in my possesion all of my daughters blood test. I can email them to you if necessary.

Dr. P Jyoti :

ok, not email but just note down any abnormalities

Dr. P Jyoti :

were thyroid tests done?

Customer:

ok, she has just told me that she did a thyroid test 30 days ago and it was ok, but she is calling the doctor now to see if a more recent test will give different results.

Dr. P Jyoti :

thats all right, if the tests were ok 30 days back there is no need to repeat the tests now

Dr. P Jyoti :

is she overweight?

Customer:

the test have already been done and she is getting the results for them.. They are going to call us back. She is not overweight.

Dr. P Jyoti :

does she snore at night?

Customer:

no. She gets really tired during the day and has to lay down for a nap. I have the same problem, but I am 64. Could there be a connection? she is also taking 100mg of Sertraline daily.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello, sorry i seem to go silent from time to time, i am having a really slow connection

Dr. P Jyoti :

let me go on with the answer now

Dr. P Jyoti :

this condition of excessive daytime sleepiness is called hypersomnia

Dr. P Jyoti :

there are two main ways in which hypersomnia is caused

Dr. P Jyoti :

the first is primary hypersomnia - due to causes like narcolepsy, idiopathic hypersomnia

Dr. P Jyoti :

the second is secondary hypersomnia - due to depression, multiple sclerosis, encephalitis, epilepsy

Dr. P Jyoti :

your doctor is right to send her for a sleep study

Dr. P Jyoti :

this is to rule out any neurological causes

Dr. P Jyoti :

but before that i would suggest that she needs an MRI and EEG

Dr. P Jyoti :

any blood abnormality like hypothyroidism, diabetes, addison's disease, etc can cause this

Dr. P Jyoti :

priXXXXX XXXXXke narcolepsy

Dr. P Jyoti :

discuss all these causes - hormonal like hypothyroidism, diabetes, addison's disease

Dr. P Jyoti :

secondary like depression, multiple sclerosis, encephalitis, epilepsy

Dr. P Jyoti :

ask about tests like MRI and EEG

Dr. P Jyoti :

this will help to get you an informed opinion

Dr. P Jyoti :

all these conditions need to be ruled out

Dr. P Jyoti :

this will lead to a solution for her

Dr. P Jyoti :

if all these are eliminated, then a sleep study is in order to check for primary causes

Dr. P Jyoti :

Are you satisfied with my answer? Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

What are some of the results that could be determined from a sleep study?

Dr. P Jyoti :

mainly for sleep apnoea, also for any eeg abnormalities, any cardiac abnormalities, etc

Customer:

possible results.

Dr. P Jyoti :

it will study the length of rem and nonrem sleep, etc

Dr. P Jyoti :

it is very useful in many respects to identify pathologies of sleep

Dr. P Jyoti :

but its main use is in detecting sleep apnoea

Dr. P Jyoti :

it will not be helpful for detecting the other causes of hypersomnia that I have mentioned

Dr. P Jyoti :

hence you need to discuss all these causes and also the tests

Dr. P Jyoti :

this is necessary to arrive at a diagnosis, not just the sleep study directly

Dr. P Jyoti :

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

ok, I thank you for your answers. I agree with your suggestions. To be clear , you are suggesting a MRI and EEG, what can I tell her doctor we would be looking for from these test?

Dr. P Jyoti :

with MRI you would be looking for any neurological abnormalities like multiple sclerosis, encephalopathy, hydrocephalus, etc

Dr. P Jyoti :

with eeg you would be looking for epilepsy

Dr. P Jyoti :

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

Very satisfied. Thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.