Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

i am 51 i skipped my period last month. as i do occasionaly.it

i am 51 i skipped my period last month. as i do occasionaly.it is starting tonite...if i start taking premarin, will it stop or delay my period?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am afraid Premarin will not stop your period since it has already started

Dr. P Jyoti :

estrogen pills can be given to delay periods, as for example when a person is going on a vacation

Dr. P Jyoti :

but these need to be started about three days before the day of the period

Dr. P Jyoti :

then can be continued till the end of the vacation

Dr. P Jyoti :

but once the period starts, the uternine lining has already begun shedding, and this cannot be stopped till the process is complete

Dr. P Jyoti :

hope this gives you an idea of what to do

Dr. P Jyoti :

Are you satisfied with my answer? Please remember to rate my service once you

have all the information you need.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating.

Thank you.

Customer:

ok...i was confused about the use of it...i experienced a 28 day period about a year ago and was given a prescription of premarin and i think another pill?

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Dr. P Jyoti :

thats right, premarin is given to stop prolonged bleeding

Dr. P Jyoti :

it is prescribed in case of abnormal and excessive bleeding

Dr. P Jyoti :

it will help to prevent that

Dr. P Jyoti :

but it will not shorten the normal period

Customer:

thank you i don't think my periods are very normal anymore..at 51...never know when or if it is coming...

Dr. P Jyoti :

sometimes bleeding can persist even after the uterine lining shedding has been completed and premarin helps in that

Dr. P Jyoti :

but not to stop the shedding

Dr. P Jyoti :

you are going through the perimenopausal period

Dr. P Jyoti :

this abnormality of periods is normal and expected during this period

Customer:

yep

Dr. P Jyoti :

you can go for a blood test which will confirm whether you are premenopausal

Dr. P Jyoti :

there is also an OTC test for this

Dr. P Jyoti :

but not really necessary unless you are having uncomfortable symptoms

Customer:

what is it called

Customer:

true

Dr. P Jyoti :

if you are having uncomfortable symptoms you can discuss with your gynae about HRT

Customer:

thank you

Dr. P Jyoti :

its called Homecheck

Dr. P Jyoti :

in fact there are many brands

Dr. P Jyoti :

just ask for the test at your chemist

Dr. P Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P Jyoti :

good night then

Dr. P Jyoti :

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you

have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me –

I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Remember also to come back here if you have any other questions, I and other experts on the site are always ready to help you.

You can always request for me directly or begin your question with "for Dr. P. Jyoti", I will be very happy to be requested.

Dr. P Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, please rate my service.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.