911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician

Hi. I have written to you in the past and am seeking your

Hi. I have written to you in the past and am seeking your advice again. I suffer from B12 deficiency. On 5/8, I saw my hematologist and had my B12 test and it was 152. Like in the past, I started weekly shots. Last week I had my forth shot and they drew blood to see where my level is at. I got the results today and my B 12 is now 11992. Is this possible or could it be a lab error? I know the normal range is 200 - 900.
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.

911DOC :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911DOC :

I would believe 1992 but not 11992

911DOC :

are you sure you got those numbers right?

Customer:

Yes, it is 11992.

Customer:

I have to go next week for IV iron. Should I ask to be re-tested? Is this a dangerous level? I know that we excrete excess B12 via urine. So even is I had 4 injections, I should not be that high, correct?

Customer:

Are you still there?

911DOC :

yes

911DOC :

it's hard for me to see how this is a true level

911DOC :

but you are correct that excess b12 is excreted in the urine

911DOC :

the dangerous vitamin overdoses are D, E, A, and K.

911DOC :

standing bgy

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

I am going to see if I can copy and paste the lab results

911DOC :

okay

Customer:

Tests: (1) Vitamin B12 (b12)
1VB12 [H] "Result Below..." 211-911
RESULT: 11992 Result obtained by dilution. pg/ml

911DOC :

so that is really high

911DOC :

and it appears to be the correct units

911DOC :

picograms per milliliter

Customer:

Yes which is why I am concerned

Customer:

Can one go that high with three shots

911DOC :

I don't think you need to be concerned

Customer:

I have had four but the took blood first

Customer:

okay

911DOC :

but a recheck is in order and your doctor needs to see this

Customer:

should I ask to be re-tested

Customer:

ok.

Customer:

should I wait a few weeks

911DOC :

I see no harm in waiting

911DOC :

no harm in a high level

911DOC :

but your doctor will want to tailor your dosing if this is a true result

911DOC :

can you call him/her in the morning?

Customer:

Yes, I will. They called me about my ferritin level this morning which was 6 but the B 12 was not in yet. I will touch base tomorrow.

911DOC :

that's a very good plan indeed

911DOC :

do you have further questions for me tonight?

Customer:

I appreciate you help. Thank you.

911DOC :

you are most welcome

911DOC :

come by anytime

911DOC :

happy to help

911DOC :

be well

Customer:

I will. Have a good evening. I will let you know what happens.

911DOC :

very good

911DOC :

have a good night and please do leave good feedback if you feel it is warranted.

911DOC :

best

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician