Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I am wearing a mouthpiece for sleep apnea and at night when

I am wearing a mouthpiece for sleep apnea and at night when wearing it , my saliva increases so much in mouth that I have a hard time going to sleep. Other than taking mouthpiece out, do I have any other options?

RickMD :

Hi. My name isXXXXX completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

RickMD :

Yes. You could talk to your doctor about taking some medication to decrease your saliva production that you could take prior to going to sleep.

RickMD :

These medications are available as pills, drops or patches.

RickMD :

These drugs all belong to a class of medication called anti-cholinergic.

RickMD :

Clonidine 0.1 mg before bedtime is very effective

RickMD :

1% atropine eye drops also work when diluted and used as a mouth rinse. This is very safe.

RickMD :

As you can see, there are many options available.

RickMD :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

RickMD : Hi. My name isXXXXX completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?
RickMD : Yes. You could talk to your doctor about taking some medication to decrease your saliva production that you could take prior to going to sleep.
RickMD : These medications are available as pills, drops or patches.
RickMD : These drugs all belong to a class of medication called anti-cholinergic.
RickMD : Clonidine 0.1 mg before bedtime is very effective
RickMD : 1% atropine eye drops also work when diluted and used as a mouth rinse. This is very safe.
RickMD : As you can see, there are many options available.
RickMD : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Thatis why I came here, so I wouldn't have to pay for another doctor visit. I knew to do that what he told me
You didn't say that you did not want to use medication...which is the easiest way to solve your problem.....

What sort of options are you looking for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

something over the counter

Richard,

There is nothing over the counter that is going to decrease your saliva production enough to help you with the situation you have described.

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.
Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.
Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.