Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

This last week I overworked my abs at the gym (something I

This last week I overworked my abs at the gym (something I have been known to do before). I know how this feels. However, additionally, I took a semi-fall down some stairs later that afternoon and caught myself (stretched out) by one arm. It was somewhat violent. At the time, I didn't feel anything other than my overworked abs the following day. The next day, however, my abs were abnormally extended on one side after eating. The inflammation went down. The following day it happened again after sitting at my desk for a few hours. I researched hernias online (I'm 45, 5' 108 lbs) in good health. Also I researched serious muscle over exertion. I went to a clinic the other night. After prodding, the doc ( I"m feeling really NO pain??) the doc said it was likely just muscular over exertion and and to lay low for 3 or 4 days. But every time I eat or sit at my desk for any amount of time, the "bulge" or inflammation returns though not as bad. It also seems to move around? Is it possible I DO have a hernia and can't feel it. Additionally that I would feel no pain even after the doctors pressure? Can this just be my muscle have a spasm or reacting to being overworked?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

Where exactly you feel the swelling or bulge in abdomen?

Do you feel the same swelling or bulge on coughing ?

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I feel nothing at all when coughing. the pain from my "workout" has pretty much all subsided as far as I can tell though I have not tried to do any sit-ups. bulge was first noticeable in my upper left abdominal area below the ribcage (after eating a lot AND sitting for a couple of hours). the following day it had subsided except for some still noticeable (to me) swelling. Later the following day it seemed to have left the upper region and moved lower closer to my groin. HOWEVER, that day was prior to any Dr. visit and I had gone to the gym and worked on lower extremities which may have exacerbated my lower abs? Anyway it seemed to go there and closer to the groin. The last few days it is still seems to swell after sitting in a chair and/or after eating. And following these 2 things it was once more noticeable higher up but still slightly swollen in the groin as well. There is maybe ONE tiny spot in the middle of my abs where if I press enough its seems tender. nothing more.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I feel nothing at all when coughing. the pain from my "workout" has pretty much all subsided as far as I can tell though I have not tried to do any sit-ups. bulge was first noticeable in my upper left abdominal area below the ribcage (after eating a lot AND sitting for a couple of hours). the following day it had subsided except for noticeable swelling. Later the following day it seemed to have left the upper region and moved lower closer to my groin. HOWEVER, that day was prior to any Dr. visit and I had gone to the gym and worked out lower extremities likely using my lower abs and groin. The next day following eating and sitting in a chair for a couple of hours it did the same though not nearly as noticeable except to me. It seemed to initially be higher and remained somewhat swollen lower. It seems to settle just above my bikini line.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am really sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concerns but later you can ask anything you want.

Is it possible I DO have a hernia and can't feel it.

Initially one can have a hernia without a bulge. But in your specific case after assessing your symptoms, i am confident that you don't have hernia because in hernia swelling always remains there (if it is present) or at least it become noticeable on coughing. Moreover hernia if painful is associated with serious complications. Pain or discomfort in that case should be persistent and progressive so just forget hernia, it's not your case.

Additionally that I would feel no pain even after the doctors pressure?

Yes it is possible in muscular pain sometime.

Can this just be my muscle have a spasm or reacting to being overworked?
To me it sounds like muscle spasm because it is position related and it has changed it's site. In such situations OTC Tab aleve twice daily really helps. Since you got this last week, it's better to use heat packs or hot water bottle instead of icing. If symptoms persist see your doctor but hopefully will not be required.

I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery