Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I HAD A QUADRUPLE HEART BY PASS IN FEBRUARY THIS YEAR MY RECOVERY

I HAD A QUADRUPLE HEART BY PASS IN FEBRUARY THIS YEAR MY RECOVERY HAS BEEN EXCELLENT BUT I HAVE ONE PROBLEM SWELLING OF LOWER LEG FROM WHICH THE VEIN WAS TAKEN I USED A STOCKING FOR EIGHT WEEKS, SHOULD I KEEP ON WITH THE STOCKINGS? OR WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST?

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

Where exactly is the swelling in left leg?

Does this vary in size from time to time?

Have you had any test so far for it?

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

THE SWELLING APPEARS TO BE FLUID. OVERNIGHT WHEN RESTED IT RETURNS TO

NORMAL SIZE

I HAVE NOT REQUESTED HELP I THOUGHT PERHAPS IT WAS A NORMAL CONDITION AFTER THIS OPERATION

Roy thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem but would like to reassure you that as per your symptoms there is nothing to worry. After heart bypass this is normal to have such swelling in left leg. It can take up to 6 months to settle. I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations you should keep using the stocking. Moreover don't sit in one position for a long time or don't cross your legs while sitting, this impairs the return of blood from leg to heart.Put a pillow under your feet while sleeping to keep legs elevated. At day time, keep left leg raised with the help of a pillow or anything at least for one hour. Do this twice daily. Try to walk around as frequently as you can. If symptoms persist after 6 months, see your doctor for doppler scan of leg but hopefully that will not be required. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.