Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I was wondering if you can get HIV from unprotected oral sex?

I was wondering if you can get HIV from unprotected oral sex? No semen was exchanged and its been 5yrs since the inincident.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.

Well, transmission of HIV through oral sex is very very slim.
HIV is normally only present in saliva in very low levels that are not sufficient to cause infection.

The risk of HIV transmission through oral sex is estimated to be approximately 0.05 per cent per contact.
Oral sex is s regarded as a low-risk sexual activity in terms of HIV transmission.

According to research,the risk of transmission of HIV from a single encounter of unprotected oral sex is about 0.005%, meaning that 99.995% of men would not get HIV.

Chances of getting HIV through oral sex, is very very slim.
Most likely you would be safe. There is no reason for concern, You should not panic. You are safe.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks doc. My wife is pregnant with our 2nd Child and she says that they have tested her for just about everything. Do They test for HIV during pregnancy? If so would this mean that I'm clean since this incident happened before we were married?

James, Thanks for asking follow up question.

Great to hear good news, Congrats.
Doctors recommend all pregnant women to get tested for HIV.
As she has has already been tested, so your unborn baby would be safe.
Yes, you would be clean for HIV.
No need to take stress, you are absolutely fine.
You should not panic.
Good luck and take care.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK doc. One last question. I had a CBC done about a month ago and everything was OK except my wbc was a little high. It was 12.4. Is that bad and do u think that if I had HIV something in my CBC would be out of whack?

Dear XXXXX, Thanks for asking follow up question.

Well, the normal range for WBC count is 4.3 to 10.8 x 109 cells per liter.
You have have a value of 12.4, this is slightly raised and is called mild leukocytosis. No need to get panic. This can happen in normal and healthy persons too.

Stress, it can be it emotional or physical or any allergic or inflammatory condition, would have caused such changes in WBC count. This is usually not of concern.

You don't have HIV, Please don't fear for that issue. You are absolutely safe and healthy.