Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I am a 52 male with IBS. Had a colonoscopy at age 43 polyp

I am a 52 male with IBS. Had a colonoscopy at age 43 polyp removed and at 48 nothing clear. Recently, had some blood with bowel movements. Went to my gastroenterologist . He found some hemmoroids and some bleeding higher up. He stated that based on prior colonscopies , he does not think it is anything but recommended to move up my colonscopy from a 2015 date to next week. He stated that he was just being cautious and just wants to make sure it is nothing seroius.

Just looking for some reassurance that if i had a clean colonscopy in 2010, the odds are that this is probaly nothing serious. Colonsocopy schedule for next week.

DR HASAN :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

DR HASAN :

Do you get blood after the bowel movement or it's mixed with the stool?

DR HASAN :

Is this fresh blood?

DR HASAN :

How many episodes of bleeding you have got so far?

DR HASAN :

Any other sympXXXXX XXXXXke weight loss, loss of appetite etc?

Customer:

-2-3

DR HASAN :

Customer:

-2-3

DR HASAN :

ko

DR HASAN :

ok

Customer:

2-3 episodes over the past 2-3 months. I did not see it in or on the stoll. Acutally appear after two sessions where I did not actually have a movement but when kind of autoatically wiping saw some blood on toilet paper.

DR HASAN :

ok

Customer:

Doctor did a digital and say hemmroids and the digitally observed some blood /stool.

DR HASAN :

Customer:

No weight loss or loss of appetite. Just my crazy stomach that comes with IBS. Sometimes gas and dihareeha. Other time hard. More on the dihareea side though. Very non food and I think stress related.

DR HASAN :

Any history of colon cancer in family?

DR HASAN :

Were you polyps biopsied last time?

Customer:

Mother has bleeding due to fissues/ hemoroids. (89 y/o) and son 15 has a fissure he is dealing with. None other than that

DR HASAN :

Thanks a lot for your input.

Customer:

Biopised and told OK

DR HASAN :

I am sorry to hear that you are so stressed out but i would like to reassure you that the symptoms, your past history and presence of hemorrhoids this time means that your likely cause is either recurrence of the polyps or hemorrhoids.

DR HASAN :

That's good that you are going for earlier colonoscopy but colon cancer with your symptoms is least likely.

DR HASAN :

Sometime constipation itself (if you had) can cause such bleeding.

DR HASAN :

Although this is definitely not IBS but polyps and/hemorrhoids seems to be the likely cause.

Customer:

SO a clarification is that even if i have a polyp that is bleeidng, that does not mean cancerous. I also understand that if it was something, it is usually a slow moving issue that having a clean colonoscopy 2.5 years ago means whatever it may be, chances it has not progressed. Yes , I am stressed out. Doc even said , he was doing the early colonoscopy as much for Him to confirm its nothing as for me. Just was concerned that he found bleeding high up during the digital.

DR HASAN :

Yes a bleeding polyp doesn't simply means cancer. A benign polyp can bleed too. Similarly just hemorrhoids can also bleed.

DR HASAN :

Having clean colonoscopy definitely reduces your chances of having anything serious.

Customer:

Thanks doctor. Appreciate it, Stressing is not helping the rest of my gastro issue.

DR HASAN :

Earlier colonoscopy is the right step that must be taken even if when cancer is not suspected.

DR HASAN :

You are most welcome.

Customer:

regards,

Hi Elliott, i was just concerned so i thought i should ask about your colonoscopy. How are you and what's the update about your problem?