Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Mr. Joe has fever for about 2 weeks. Nighttime only. Started with 103 about now its

Customer Question

Mr. Joe has fever for about 2 weeks. Nighttime only. Started with 103 about now it's down to 100.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

The trend of the decresing fever would seem to be a positive encouraging finding....

Anthony Bray MD :

Does he have any symptoms such as cough?

Customer:

Small small cough. Nothing out of ordinary.

Anthony Bray MD :

Upper respiratory such as sore throat, sinus congestion??

Customer:

None

Anthony Bray MD :

Any GI complaints> diarrhea ??

Customer:

Had last week one day thinks its because of anti biotics

Customer:

I can email you copy of bloodwork if that can help

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes that could be the case especially with the Augmentin that he was on...

Anthony Bray MD :

You can post it here... they don't allow us to swap emails though....

Anthony Bray MD :

Was anything abnormal on his blood work?? I got impression that he has had normal findings except for his fever...

Anthony Bray MD :

Did he have elevated white blood cell count??

Customer:

all seems normal. will have a link to it in a moment.

Anthony Bray MD :

OK>>

Customer:

http://computersplusplus.com/Joe.tif

Anthony Bray MD :

OK I reviewed his results and these look very good and normal for the most part.. I note that he had very small amount of blood in the urine and i think that a follow up check on this would be a good idea...

Anthony Bray MD :

How may days has his fver been down to about 100??

Customer:

2

Anthony Bray MD :

Well it seems to be resolving and I would follow to see if this trend held up.. if so then he may be in the clear... if his fever continues on this glidepath then it would seem to be reolving altogether... if his fver should continue then he would need to follow up with his doctor to continue evaluation for "FUO" = Fever of Unknown Origin... further tests may include screeeing for autoimmune disease, tuberculosis (skin test), others as the need may be ...

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this helps>> let me know if you have further questions ! I will be happy to get back with you if tyhis is the case!!

Customer:

Would antibiotics take so long to work?

Anthony Bray MD :

It sounds that perhaps the Augmentin may have been ineffective but that he may be responding to the Levofloxacin...

Anthony Bray MD :

I can't be certain that infection or at least a typical infection is necessarily the cause of his fever as his blood counts seem so normal... the labs may have been recent though corresponding with his improving....

Customer:

Ok, thank you so much.'

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome!

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As I closed out I see new results just came in. can you have a look at http://computersplusplus.com/Joe.pdf ?

Thank you

Hello!

It appears that he has CMV infection>> Cytomegalovirus >> This would cause an infection and illness similar to mononucleosis.. so his gradual improvement would be his immune system winning vs the infection and not related to the Levofloxacin.. this CMV infection would explain his fever...

CMV can be damaging to the retinas of the eyes in some case so he should watch for eye pain or visual symptoms and his doctor may wish to examine his eyes...

CMV is usually handles well by the body but immunocompromised patients may have more difficulty with this type infection...

Between 40 to 100% of adults will have antibodies to this infection BUT his having IGM antibodies on his test shows that he is fighting this infection now....

CMV may be a cause of inflammation of the liver and this may be related to fever as a possibility...his doctor may wish to follow up on his liver enzymes as well...

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you! Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD