How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Robert Your Own Question
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 6680
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Robert is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to know which type of specialist I need to visit

This answer was rated:

I would like to know which type of specialist I need to visit for my condition. I am a 52 year old black male. Family history of prostate cancer and high blood pressure. I have never drank alcohol, smoked, nor done any drugs. I am mostly vegetarian and eat seafood several times a week. I juice regularly, drink distilled water and I avoid sodas. Two years ago I was diagnosed with anemia with a 5.7 hemoglobin count. I had very few symptoms, only slight dizziness when I stood up occasionally. I took iron supplements and the symptoms went away. Had an upper and lower GI tract exam and a large benign polyp was found and removed. Over the past three weeks, I have noticed a slight pain / discomfort just behind my lower rib on the right side when I move my torso into certain positions. What type specialist do you recommend that I visit?
Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

What was your last hemoglobin level after you took iron supplements?
Is there nausea?
What is the severity of this pain on scale of 1-10?
Is the pain regular?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My hemoglobin level is now steady at 12.8. I take the iron supplements 18mg 3-4 times a week.


There is no nausea however I occasionally get an immediate need to have a bowel movement after eating. This is usually accompanied with gas, sometimes painful. That happens less when I take the vegetable enzymes.


Pain on my right side behind the lowest rib is about a 3 and is not regular. If I press on the ribs the pain is increased.

Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

The area of slight pain you have described is medically called as right hypochondrium.

The pain you are having can be due to number of causes:gallbladder disease,gall bladder stone,duodenal ulcer, pancreatitis,liver problems,subphrenic abscess.Another possibility can be of kidney stone.

You need following tests:

-Ultrasound of upper abdomen & KUB area
-Stool examination & culture
-CT scan may be required accordingly

You need to consult a gastroenterologist for these tests so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Your hemoglobin level is near about normal now.Continue the iron supplements as prescribed.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less,please reply back,I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you for your business!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert and 8 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Hi JA customer,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted the gastro doctor?
Were these tests done?
What was your final diagnosis made?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tried to schedule with one of the top doctors in US News but many are not taking new clients or very specific illnesses. I have not had the tests done yet. Could you recommend a doctor in the Washington, DC area?


In any case, thank you for the followup.

Hi JA customer,

Are you still experiencing pain?
Do you suffer from severe nausea or abdomen cramps?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert