Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Awoke during the night to what feels like a partially plugged

Awoke during the night to what feels like a partially plugged left ear, similar to water in ear, along with a gurgling or bubbling sensation with a slight itch. Symptoms continue this morning. No symptoms or issues with right ear.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello I am an ENT specialist and can help you on this.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Would you like to chat on this?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello

Dr. P Jyoti :

are you having a cold or nose block now?

Customer:

Good morning.

Customer:

No

Dr. P Jyoti :

did you go for a journey today?

Dr. P Jyoti :

i mean, yesterday?

Customer:

No. Occurred after sleeping for a few hours after a normal workday.

Dr. P Jyoti :

ok

Dr. P Jyoti :

this is most likely a eustachian tube block

Dr. P Jyoti :

The eustachian tube connects the ear to the nose, airplane travel specially if you are having a cold causes blockage of the tube leading to collection of fluid in the ear.

Dr. P Jyoti :

This is usually self resolving in most cases.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Take: Antihistaminics like Tab. Alavert 10 mg(OTC) one tab. daily and Otrivin nasal drops - two drops thrice daily.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Menthol steam inhalation can also be used- add Menthol salts (available OTC) to a bowl of steaming water and inhale the steam two - three times daily - this will relieve the congestion.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Also try a step known as Valsalva Maneouver: take a deep breath, purse your lips and then take a swallow - this will force air into the ears. Do this as often as possible.

Dr. P Jyoti :

But if it persists beyond 3-4 days, show an ENT for this

Dr. P Jyoti :

tests like Impedance Audiometry are needed for this

Dr. P Jyoti :

another condition which is similar is sudden sensorineural deafness

Dr. P Jyoti :

this is a condition when there is sudden loss of hearing on one side

Dr. P Jyoti :

if you are having decreased hearing, which you can test by putting a mobile to the ear, then you need to go to the ER for this

Dr. P Jyoti :

earlier the treatment the better

Dr. P Jyoti :

but in your case this is typically eustachian tube block and will be helped by these measures

Dr. P Jyoti :

try out these steps, you should get well with these steps itself

Dr. P Jyoti :

but if it persists show your doctor and discuss this

Dr. P Jyoti :

Are you satisfied with my answer? Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

Testing hearing now by listing to messages on cell phone. Slight decrease in left ear.

Dr. P Jyoti :

ok.. slight decrease is of course expected

Dr. P Jyoti :

would not be SNHL then

Dr. P Jyoti :

try out these measures, but do also discuss with your doctor

Dr. P Jyoti :

till you see your doctor, you can try out these steps

Dr. P Jyoti :

but remember to call your primary care physician/family physician and ask about this

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

If SNHL the level of hearing loss would be substantial?

Dr. P Jyoti :

yes thats right, you would notice the hearing loss right away, not a blocking sensation

Dr. P Jyoti :

so it doesnt seem like that

Dr. P Jyoti :

try out these steps i suggested, but you should also discuss with your own doctor

Dr. P Jyoti :

till you see or contact your own doctor, try out these steps which will help you

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

Also no feeling of pain, just a slight itch as I mentioned. Any other potential medical issues that would create similar symptoms? When using the Valsalva Maneouver does it require actual drinking and then swallowing of a fluid?

Dr. P Jyoti :

Thats right, there wouldnt be pain. No other potential issues, this is not such a big thing, and eustachian tube block is most likely, SNHL not being likely with your symptoms but still needs to be considered

Dr. P Jyoti :

and no, when doing the Valsalva, swallow a gulp of air, not fluids.

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

Thank you for your assistance Doctor! All the best.

Dr. P Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P Jyoti :

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Customer:

Yes and I will see him later today. Will rate service as Excellent.

Dr. P Jyoti :

thank you

Dr. P Jyoti :

have a good day

Dr. P Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, please rate my service.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Remember also to come back here if you have any other questions, I and other experts on the site are always ready to help you.

You can always request for me directly or begin your question with "for Dr. P. Jyoti", I will be very happy to be requested.

Customer:

First time user. Would utilize service again in future.

Dr. P Jyoti :

thank you. So glad that I could be of help.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Customer:

End session by hitting "Save & Exit"?

Dr. P Jyoti :

you have to click the rating first, on the row of faces

Dr. P Jyoti :

then once you have given the rating, click on save and exit

Customer:

Will do. Again, thank you and be well.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Wish you the best. Have a good day.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.