Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My lab results showed a small band in the igg kappa and it

My lab results showed a small band in the igg kappa and it may indicate monoclonal immunoglobulins. Am I at risk for multiple myeloma? My RBC is on the higher side of normal and WBC is on the lower side of normal. They also found the same small band in my urine as well. I'm a bit worried. Please reply.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

Further evaluation per the oncologist will no doubt be needed in your case to determine the significance of this finding...

Anthony Bray MD :

The kappa band may be due to Monoclonal Gammapathy of Undermined Significance as a possible reason for this finding...

Anthony Bray MD :

Bone pain, fatigue, recurrent infections, nausea are often associated with multiple myeloma.Have you had any of these symptoms??

Anthony Bray MD :

Anemia rahter than high RBC count would be more expected in multiple myeloma...

Anthony Bray MD :

Elevated serum calcium level would be expected in multiple myeloma... Elevated BUN and creatinine and uric acid and total protein are common findings...

Anthony Bray MD :

I would anticipate that the oncologist that you see may wish to do a bone marrow biopsy to help determine if this may be a case of MGUS as I mention above vs a more serious process..

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope that this information is helpful for you. Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you! I certainly hope that your results come back reassurring!

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answers have been helpful adn to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be much appreciated! Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: My creatinine levels in my urine were very high. Above normal. Not sure about calcium levels. I have been more tired lately and I have been sick 3 times since January. I have pain in my lower back and ankles. Wasn't sure if any of that was relative.
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello again,

Anthony Bray MD :

Well some of what you report could potentially be of concern but your symptoms and findings seem nonspecific to me..the serum creatinine is what would be of significance...fatigue is potential symptom of concern >> Yes >> but also this is very broad.. many potential causes of being tired....

Anthony Bray MD :

Ankles would not be a site of expected pain with multiple myeloma but lower back could be...

Anthony Bray MD :

Overall I think that you will more likely prove not to have multiple myeloma... I certainly hope that this is the case...

Anthony Bray MD :

Take Care >> let me know if you have further questions..