Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD

Hello, I was recently in contact with my friends mom who has

Hello, I was recently in contact with my friends mom who has MRSA. I went to the doctor and had a nasal swab. If the test comes back positive, what are the steps to take? Also, will I be cured? I've heard mixed things about this. I'm afraid of it coming back positive because I don't know what it entails.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

If your test comes back as MRSA positive, you will be considered 'colonized' with the bacteria. In most cases, being colonized does not make you sick and your doctor may decide that nasal application of an antibiotic called bactroban is all that will be required to treat the bacteria.

If however, you fall sick or get sores, you will need to be treated with another antibiotic called vancomycin. Newer drugs like Linezoid may also be needed.

You will also need to undertake certain precautions - the most important being hand washing. The bacteria lives on the skin and the naose. Regular hand washing with an alcohol based hand sanitizer will help prevent spread of the bacteria. Use a paper towel to touch the taps and wipe any surface that you touch.

With proper care, you may never get an infeciton and the colonization will clear up.

I hope this helps.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MBBS.MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I use the bactroban, if it is successful, will that be like a cure? And I will not have to worry about it again unless I get re-infected? Or will I have to be careful for the rest of my life if I am found to be colonized? I guess my question is, what happens after the use of bactroban if I am found to be colonized. What if I do a culture and I come back clean after bactroban? I don't have any kids and would like to have some one day and I am worried about the long term effects that this would have if I were to have it.

Leslie,

After you have used the bactroban for at least 10, you will need to get another nasal swab to see if you have been decolonized. Your doctor may also give you a course of oral antibiotics of Doxycycline + Septra for 7 days and a daily chlorhexidene body wash for 7 days.

A repeat nasal swab after this regime will tell you if you have been cleared of the bacteria. if you are, you have no cause for worry.

If however you come back positive again after the swab, you will need to take antibiotics again.

You should have no long term problems if you take proper care.