Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Hi, I have just returned from a trip to Malaysia and upon

Customer Question

I have just returned from a trip to Malaysia and upon return home have developed diarrhoea.

I've had it for about 2 days, and vomited once. I am going to the toilet every 30minutes - 1 hour. It is just water coming out now.

I have let it run its course for a while and have now taken gastro stop (loperamide). However, I am still going to the toilet.

My Dr prescribed me 2x 500mg Azithromycin tablets prior to travel in case of bad diarrhoea. I have not taken them yet, and dont know if I should or not, because I don't know if the diarrhoea is bacterial or viral.

I have a normal temperature. I am able to eat food, but am only having soup etc.

Do you think I should take the azithromycin? or should I just wait it out? I am not sure if I need to seek medical attention because I have been travelling.

How much longer can I expect this to last?

Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello

Dr. P Jyoti :

is it on the decreasing trend?

Dr. P Jyoti :

do you have any stomach cramps?

Customer:

It has remained fairly constant. Yes, I do have stomach cramps that come and go occasionally.

Dr. P Jyoti :

This is likely to be an episode of viral gastroenteritis (stomach flu).

Dr. P Jyoti :

Viral gastroenteritis presents with vomiting and/or diarrhoea, although there may be diarrhoea alone.

Dr. P Jyoti :

the azithromycin will probably not be helpful in this

Dr. P Jyoti :

best is to wait this out with adequate care

Customer:

OK.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Treatment for this is mainly supportive:

Dr. P Jyoti :

Rest.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Plenty of fluids- you should take water, fruit juices, electrolyte fluids like Gatorade..

Dr. P Jyoti :

Bland diet: the BRATTY diet - banana, soft rice, apple sauce, toast, tea and yoghurt is recommended.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Small meals.

Dr. P Jyoti :

continue with the loperamide for the diarrnea

Dr. P Jyoti :

You will need to report to the doctor if your diarrhea is so severe you get dehydrated, or you pass blood in vomit or stools.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Viral gastroenteritis usually resolves spontaneously. You will also need to see your doctor if it persists for more than 5 days.

Dr. P Jyoti :

also go to the doctor for any severe symptoms like excessive cramping, or increase in frequency, etc

Dr. P Jyoti :

do be careful to take enough fluids and watch out carefully for dehydration

Dr. P Jyoti :

your urine should remain watery and not turn dark yellow - that is a good way to check if you are getting enough hydration

Dr. P Jyoti :

generally with these steps and precautions it will be safe to wait this out at home

Dr. P Jyoti :

Are you satisfied with my answer? Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

any other questions?

Customer:

Thank you for your advice.

Customer:

I will wait and see if it resolves.

Dr. P Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.