Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

Hi, Ive had a skin infection on the face treated first with

Customer Question

I've had a skin infection on the face treated first with e-mycin before switching to keflex, the infection has started to form a scab but is not completely resolved. Should I continue to take keflex past the prescribed 20 tablets? What could be done to reduce scarring from the scab forming, can ointment be applied constantly?
Could you explain why bactroban should not be applied for longer than 10 days due to possibility of resistance developing, does it become dangerous to use for more than 10 days?
Also, I have a bump developing on the side of the scalp which is quite large in area but not high. It is painful to the touch (unlike the current infection). Could it be related to the skin infection or the taking of antibiotics and should I be more concerned about infections in this area than on the front of the face due to the proximity to the brain?

Thankyou.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 10 months ago.

I can appreciate your concern.

Let me answer your questions one by one.

No, do not take Keflex more than the prescribed 20 tabs.

To reduce scarring, keep the wound covered and moist. You can moisten it with simple petroleum jelly, though fancy anti-scarring creams are also available. Silicon gel sheets can also be applied. Discuss with your doctor about this.

Yes, bactroban should not be applied more than 10 days. The bacteria which are present and are immune for whatever reason get a chance to further refine their immunity and develop new fighting strength.

THe bump is possibly an enlarged lymph node, do not worry about this, it is part of the body's fighting reflex.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thankyou.

I am wondering if it is ok to use anti-bacterial honey for more than 10 days or will bacteria also develop resistance, I understand that bacteria do not develop resistance to medical honey.

The infection is still slightly present with a dark circle around the scab forming, does keeping the wound moist increase risk of bacteria multiplying or infection not healing, this is one of the main difficulties I have found with keeping wounds moist, it helps bacteria to remain.

Also, does the scalp have many lymph nodes located under it?

Regards.

Yes, you can certainly use anti-bacterial honey for this.

It is most useful and will not allow growth of new bacteria. It will also keep the wound moist nicely and prevent scarring.

There are quite a few lymph nodes in the scalp, though of course not as much as in specific areas like the neck, armpit, etc.

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, please rate my service.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

OK thankyou.

Glad to help.

Remember also to come back here if you have any other questions, I and other experts on the site are always ready to help you.

You can always request for me directly or begin your question with "for Dr. P. Jyoti", I will be very happy to be requested.