Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

What is the danger reading for Pulse or heart rate ( Top and

What is the danger reading for Pulse or heart rate ( Top and bottom.)
What is the danger reading for Blood Pressure ( Top and bottom)
I had a high reading for pulse rate ( 130-150) this has now been corrected with
medicine but my blood pressure has now gone up to 170 -190.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for the question.

The normal resting pule or heart ratefor an average adult should be between 60-100 per minute. There may be variations depending on the level of activity, fitness level, emotions etc but the range is usually between these two readings. A reading of less than 60 or a reaading of more than 100 needs to be investigated, especially if there are other smptomslike dizziness etc.

The nornal range for blood pressure is 120 and 80. The upper level should be 120 in an average adult but this may normally go up to 140 in an elderly person. The lower level sould not go below 70.

It is normal for the BP to decrease when the heart rate go=es up. This is because the blood pressure is dependent on the amount of blood pumped byt eh heart as well as theresistance of the blood vessels. When the heart is beating fast, it pumps less blood and teh Bp decreases.

Please ask your cardiologist for a EKG, and a holter ECG for a evaluation of the heart.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is a blood pressure reading of 170-190/80 a problem. I have been told if my blood pressure goes below 100 and I am dizzy etc to go to the hospital.

But I don't know what the upper level is. I am under a cardiologist but they keep changing my medicine trying to stabilize my readings. This time they

have managed to lower my heart rate ( which was 130-150 constantly) but my blood pressure has gone up.

Janice,

Your lower reading ( diastolic pressure) at 80 is normal. But the upper reading ( the systolic pressure) is quite high at 170-190. This means that you have a high pulse pressure - that is the difference between the systolic and the diastolic pressure. Pulse pressure should be about 40. In your case, it is quite high - about 90-100.

High pulse pressure may be due to heart problems , especiallay problems with the valves . It may also be due to stiffness of the aorta, the main artery from the heart.

High pulse pressure may also sometimes be due to the BP medicines but generally it does not go as high as yours.

Please consult your cardiologist for a more thorough evaluation.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Das, MD, Doctor