Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician

Hi, When I stand or sit for long periods my left ankle swells

When I stand or sit for long periods my left ankle swells and it will return to normal if I elevate my foot.

I also recently have been having dry coughing spells and slight chest pains when I am very continuously working.

I have a family history f aneurysms and my father died 4weeks ago of aortic dissection; cardiac tamponade.

What tests do you recommend I have done.
Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Do you have swelling in only left ankle?
How long has this been going on for?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
Do you have associated pain/ numbness in left leg?
Have you undergone any medical investigations?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will have swelling in the right also if I have been active for an entire day without resting.

Since my last child who is now 3.

No medication. No known medical condition. I only had gestational diabetes with my last child and that was normalized via diet within 1 month of detection.

There is sometimes numbness in my legs if I sit for a prolonged period.

No recent medical investigations. But since my dad passed aay 4 weeks ago I was looking to hav a MRI, ECHO, CT SCAN done.

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I am sorry to hear about loss of your father. I can understand stress associated with your situation.

Such symptoms occur due to collection of fluid, it occur in these parts of the body due to gravity. This should not be left ignored and have to be checked by doctor.

Some of the common causes for such symptoms are-
Heart, Kidney, Liver disease, Nephrotic syndrome or Arthritis.
Sometimes it may occur without any disease due to prolonged standing.
This can also occur due to electrolyte imbalance, neuropathy or thyroid disorder.

Usually diagnosis is reached with help of detailed medical history , clinical examination and few investigations.

You should get these tests done-
Liver function test, Kidney function test, RA factor test, Thyroid function test, Electrolyte levels test, Doppler ultrasound test, Complete blood count, EKG and urine analysis.

For the time, Keep your legs elevated.
Avoid smoking and alcohol(if you do ).Also wearing compression stockings will be helpful
I advise that, you should see your doctor, and once tests are done, you will be advised management accordingly.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.