Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I had my gallbladder removed 1 year ago and suffered with on/off

I had my gallbladder removed 1 year ago and suffered with on/off burning yellow dirrhoea but lately for 1 whole month I have had yellow dirrhoea and bearable stomach cramps and pains. I have seeing my doctor who said it might viral bug, might be bile (so stop eating fatty foods) etc. Then 3 days ago I started getting severe burning in my stomach area, in my intestines and my bottom. My feaces are yellow and loose and sometimes very pale. I also get sharp cramps all over and pain across both side of my ribs front and back. I have seen the emergency doctors every day for the last 3 days, I tried to avoid going to a&e. doctors have given me buscopan and now colofec. I am already taking lansaprazole. I have cut all fats and eating bland rice with yoghurts and milky drinks only. I have been told to try isapghol (fibry powder). Nothing is working please help, I am now very desperate and do not want to go to a&e as I have small kids at home. PLEASE HELP!!!

Dr. Sohaib :

Hello and thank you for the question.

Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Dr. Sohaib :

Have you seen a Gastroenterologist for this?

Customer:

no my doctor does not send me

Dr. Sohaib :

Okay. What kind of tests did you have?

Dr. Sohaib :

Stool examination?

Dr. Sohaib :

Colonoscopy?

Customer:

they did an endoscopy 2 years ago and said I have h pylori to which my doctor gave me antibiotics and etc. I gave a stool sample 6 weeks ago and came back ok and have never had a colonscopy

Dr. Sohaib :

Have you experienced blood in the stools?

Dr. Sohaib :

Fever?

Customer:

I cant see blood but as for fever I am having flushes all the time

Dr. Sohaib :

Do you think you have lost some weight?

Customer:

no

Dr. Sohaib :

Thank you very much for useful information.

Customer:

although I am not eating properly for last 4 wks

Dr. Sohaib :

You are suffering from chronic diarrhea and there are a number of reasons for this including;

Dr. Sohaib :

Infections such as;

• Amoebiasis

• Giardiasis

• Other causes of infective colitis

• Intestinal tuberculosis

Dr. Sohaib :

Diverticulitis

Dr. Sohaib :

Bacterial overgrowth

Dr. Sohaib :

Malabsorption syndrome

Dr. Sohaib :

Inflammatory bowel disease

Dr. Sohaib :

Carcinoid syndrome

Customer:

my doctor said it could be bile overproduced from my liver??

Dr. Sohaib :

Colon cancer (this is least likely in your case).

Dr. Sohaib :

No, over production of bile is not the case here

Dr. Sohaib :

Neither does it mean any disease, because if your body is working properly, whatever bile is secreted in the intestine is metabolized and reabsorbed.

Dr. Sohaib :

It should not cause any kind of symptom or diarrhoea.

Dr. Sohaib :

Honestly, you need a more detailed evaluation.

Dr. Sohaib :

Preferably by a gastroenterologist.

Dr. Sohaib :

And since this is associated with flushing as well, i would suggest screening for carcinoid syndrome as well (a hormonal disorder).

Customer:

I had a hysterectomy 10 years ago but no on any hrt

Dr. Sohaib :

Ok, so hormonal issues might be contributing to flushes. I think sufficient duration has passed and its time now to have this evaluated in detail by a Gastroenterologist for a comprehensive clinical examination aided by tests such as;

1. Stool examination (3 sets) to look for ova and cysts pf parasites. Also specialized staining can be ordered for parasites and to look for malabsorption.

Dr. Sohaib :

2. Blood CBC/ESR, CRP and other inflammatory markers

3. Electrolytes, albumin, calcium levels

4. Colonoscopy

Dr. Sohaib :

5. Somatostatin receptor scintigraphy

Dr. Sohaib :

The above mentioned tests will be helpful to ascertain the exact underlying cause for her symptoms which will direct a specific and targeted management plan.

Dr. Sohaib :

Keep yourself well hydrated.

A good nutritious and well balanced diet.

Both will be helpful

Customer:

what do I need to do now please dr sohaib

Customer:

I am desperate and my doctor is not very helpful

Dr. Sohaib :

The best way to proceed further is to get a referral for a Gastroenterologist. You can discuss all the details i have mentioned with your doctor and move ahead for a specialists consultation.

Customer:

what if my gp does not understand is there any thing I can do at home

Dr. Sohaib :

There are only few measures that can help you at home. Avoid fats/spices. Exercise. Adequate water intake. But honestly, you need more detailed evaluation. I am sure once you discuss all these details with your GP, he will be convinced.

Dr. Sohaib :

Otherwise, you can directly take a consultation with gastroenterologist in private.

Dr. Sohaib :

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this does not sound serious at all. It is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

Dr. Sohaib :

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer:

thanks very much and allah hafiz

Dr. Sohaib :

Take Care and Allah Hafiz.

Dr. Sohaib :

Get well soon :)