Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
8708167

I have had a series of 3-4mm kidney stones, all within the

I have had a series of 3-4mm kidney stones, all within the past 2 months. I think I've passed at least 4, captured 2, and a recent CT scan shows 2 more in my left kidney. All seem to come from the left kidney. Blood calcium levels are normal. I was on a strong 6 week regimen of Ergocalciferol 50,000 iu's, one pill a week, twice last year, for Vit D <5. I think it caused my problem...they are the calcium oxalate stones. No one has checked my parathyroid functionality. Should they? What can I do
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Hello

Recurrent stone formers need to be investigated further with various urine and blood tests.
The most important of them is 24 hour urine analysis for various minerals found in the urine.Examples are calcium, uric acid, magnesium, oxalate, citrate etc.

Blood tests include tests for uric acid & calcium levels.

Parathyroid levels can be checked if the calcium levels in the blood are low and there are bone symptoms.
Calcium levels can be increased in the blood without harmful effects on the kidney by drinking lot of water and diluting the calcium available so that it never forms a stone.

If the calcium is diluted in the urine , they will never form stones.You should target a daily water intake of 2.5 to 3 liters.This will keep you in the safe zone.

Also you should decrease the intake of meat protein and salt which will decrease the oxalate levels.Calcium also need oxalate to form the stones.So it will be more difficult to form stones alone if the oxalate is also decreased.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have you heard of a direct relationship between Ergocalciferol and kidney stones? It says not to take it if you have stones, but I have not seen where it causes them, which is what I believe happened.

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HI

Ergocalciferol causes increased absorption of calcium from the intestines and raises the blood calcium levels.So it can cause increased calcium excretion by the kidneys with formation of stones if the concentration exceeds the solubility of the urine.

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience: MBBS