Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.

I just noticed a small pimple in my pubic hair about two inches

I just noticed a small pimple in my pubic hair about two inches above my penis. It looks and feels like an ingrown hair. It is not really painful, and I didn't notice it until I got in the shower. I tried to squeeze it (bad idea I guess), but it didn't pop or anything, and hurt a little (like an ingrown hair). I have been monogamous for three years, and am highly confident that my partner has been as well. Three years ago, I did have sex with someone while using a condom.

Other than this pimple (only one) I feel fine. I have never had any other pimples in that area. What are the odds this is herpes? Should I get checked?

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Das and I hope am able to help you with your medical problem today.

The chances of this being herpes is very minimal.

Herpes does not cause the formation of a pimple, it causes a blister, either singly or in a cluster. The blister or/and the surrounding skin is generaly tingly or at least very sensitive. Popping the blister would be very painful. In your case, you did not notice the pimple until you touched it in the shower.

While it is posible to carry the virus in the body even without any symptoms, I doubt that this is due to a herpes infection.

You can get a blood test for herpes - if it comes positive, the level of the different antibodies like IgG and IgM will help determine if you have a recent infection or if the positive test is due to an old infeciton.

I hope this helps.