Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Im a 26 year old female. Ive recently started having healt

I'm a 26 year old female. I've recently started having health problems that have flared up such as mitral valve prolapse, scoliosis, hives, endometriosis.... just to name a few. I have started to develop sleep apnea and when I wake up, it feels as though I can't move. When I attempt to move, my whole body contracts, it even feels like my skull is tightening... so when I google these things, I see that I have other symptoms that I didn't know were abnormal, like the whites of my eyes are bluish and I have grey spots on them. And my feet burn at night if I'm wearing socks. Anyway, I don't know what direction to go in. My doctor isn't aware of my googling because I don't want to seem like a hypochondriac or pill head. I'd like to get off all medication if possible, actually. I want to know what type of questions to ask. Currently I'm taking toprol, birth control, and zoloft. Recent blood work came back normal, "beautiful numbers."

RickMD :

Hi. My name isXXXXX completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

How tall are you and what do you weigh?

How long has this been going on for?

Have you discussed these issues with your doctor?

Do you have any medical problems or take any medications/drugs other then the ones you listed?

What is your specific question you would like addressed today?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am 5'3 and weigh 103 lbs. For several months I've been gradually feeling worse. Ironically it started when I started walking with my 2 year old son. Everything I've listed are symptoms I've always had, except the sleep apnea. Depression has come and gone for 10 years. I am also sensitive to otc medicines like tylenol and ibuprofen. And taking Vitamin D makes EVERYTHING worse. I have discussed most things with him, but I haven't let him know how concerned I am that something can be causing all of these things. I've recently had an echocardiogram and holter monitor. These revealed mitral valve prolapse with moderate regurgitation 2 pauses, the longest being 4.6 seconds. I would like to know if something could be causing all of these symptoms collectively and how to approach the subject with my doctor without seeming like a crazy person.

At this point it sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

It sounds like you have been receiving good care from very qualified physicians without any significant lasting improvement in your condition. At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS