Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

im 23 years old and have horrible knee pain only while I sleep.

im 23 years old and have horrible knee pain only while I sleep. its been every night for the past 3-4 weeks. any help?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Sohaib :

Hello and thank you for the question.

Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

Dr. Sohaib :

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Dr. Sohaib :

How severe is the pain on a scale of 1 to 10?

Dr. Sohaib :

Do you see any redness or swelling over the affected joint?

Dr. Sohaib :

Does it feel hot when compared to the other joint?

Customer:

its about a 8 or 9, feels like someone is hitting my knee with a hammer. the pain is mainly right in the center but I can feel it through out my entire knee. It doesn't feel warm or swells or is red. it looks normal. I haven't had any injury to the knee either. its weird.

Dr. Sohaib :

OK.

Dr. Sohaib :

And how far Naroxen has been helpful in controlling the pain?

Dr. Sohaib :

Does it hurt when you walk/exercise?

Customer:

I don't think the naproxen is helping. ive been using it for a week and its like im not taking it at all. I saw my military doctor and he doesnt know anything about it. said if the naproxen doesn't work he will give me a oral steroid. but I really don't want to take that.

Customer:

it feels like it needs to pop when I stand up or climb stairs

Customer:

but when I walk it feels fine

Dr. Sohaib :

Thank you very much for the useful information. There are few important possibilities one need to consider. First we need to rule out the localized knee problems. Such a pain in a single knee joint is most likey related to trauma/sprain. This can affect the joint cartilage/bones as well as the ligaments (which characteristically give you pain while at rest). Other closely related causes include septic arthritis, pseudogout, gout and monoarticular manifestation of polyarticular disease like rheumatoid or lupus.

Dr. Sohaib :

The joint should be examined carefully for the range of movements.

Dr. Sohaib :

And X-ray or preferably MRI should be done which will describe all joint structures in detail and will pick up even a minor abnormality present.

Dr. Sohaib :

Apart from that, the doctor can tap the joint (putting in the needle and remove the fluid for testing) if deemed necessary.

Dr. Sohaib :

Now there are some other causes for similar kind of pain, which are unrelated to the knee joint.

Dr. Sohaib :

The problem can be a pinched nerve in the spine or around the hip joint, related to posture (when you sleep) which can give you similar kind of pain.

Dr. Sohaib :

Again in this condition, MRI of the spine/Hip will be helpful to determine it with certainty.

Customer:

ill have to see what I can do. im deployed to Afghanistan right now so it might be a challenge but thank you for the info!

Dr. Sohaib :

I can understand the limitations you have but try to convince the doctor for a referral to a nearest tertiary care hospital.

Dr. Sohaib :

You will definitely get the facilities of an orthopedic as well MRI there.

Dr. Sohaib :

Until then, avoid bearing heavy weight.

Dr. Sohaib :

Have rest.

Dr. Sohaib :

Apply a bandage/support around the knee.

Dr. Sohaib :

And continue to use Naproxen. You can also add tylenol to Naproxen for a better control of pain.

Dr. Sohaib :

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this does not sound serious at all. It is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities