Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

my ears have been humming for a month. i have some high frequency

my ears have been humming for a month.
i have some high frequency hearing loss.
before a got the humming in ears my blood pressure was always 150-155/80-90. at least the previous 3 weeks before a got the humming.
my question is..................could the ear humming have anything to do with this blood pressure range?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details. I am an ENT specialist and can help you.

Do you have any associated dizziness or spinning sensation?

Is this a typical humming sound or it feels like a beating drum?

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JUST HUMMING SOUND
STATIC SOUND
NO DIZZINESS
OR SPINNING
NO BEATIND DRUM
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Pat thanks a lot for your input. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Yes there can be association of high blood pressure with ear ringing. But in your specific case, the likely cause of your humming is not blood pressure because in high blood pressure the character of ear sounds is like the pulse or beating drum. Humming is quite characteristically related to the hearing loss which has shown up on your test. This hearing loss can be without any reason or can be due to a medical problem. In such situation your doctor can prescribe you Tab betahistine. It can help you with the hearing loss to some extent and can resolve or improve this humming. But blood pressure has no association in your case. Moreover your blood pressure is not that high to cause the ear sounds. I hope this answers your question.

I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WILL THE TAB BETAHISTINE
HELP WITH THE HUMMING WHEN THE HIGH FREQUENCY HEARING LOSS IS CAUSED BY LONGTERM EXPOSURE TO NOISE? IVE WORKED WITH SQUEELING HOGS FOR 20 PLUS YEARS.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Pat thanks for your question. Yes betahistine will help with humming in that case too because it basically increases the micro-vascular supply of inner ear which is responsible for hearing. It is not likely to hep with the hearing loss but it quite often help with the humming. It has helped many of my patients with similar problem like yours. In cases where it doesn't help, hearing aids can prove beneficial. They not only help in hearing but mask the humming and make you feel better while you are wearing them. But first step is betahistine. Good luck again and please feel free to as anything, anytime. Regards
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

NEUROMONICS,,,,,HAVE YOU HEARD OF THIS AND WHAT YOUR OPINION ON IY

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Pat yes i have heard about this but it is not very commonly used. It basically involves provision of auditory stimulus to counter the tinnitus. It is not so common because it's in early stages. Yes studies have been done and about 80% of the patients have got benefit from it. However i suggest you to discuss with your audiologist about trying hearing aid first as it provides relief to many people also. If you get relief from hearing aid, you might not need neuromonics. Hearing aid is not supposed to make you hear, it is supposed to mask the tinnitus in your case. Good luck again and please feel free to as anything, anytime. Regards
Dr. Hasan, Doctor