Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

hi the Normal range written on my blood test is 154.70-428.40, mine

hi

the Normal range written on my blood test is 154.70-428.40,

mine is 436.98 which is abnormally high.

what is the cause of this? im 25 yrs old male

i drink protein shake daily, eat handful of nuts daily , and normal amount of meat.

why did it get this high? i dont drink and nuts are not my vice

tyanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.

Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Which specific test are you refering to?

And why was the test done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a blood test to check my creatinine levels because i go to the gym 3x a week.

i take supplements containing whey/casein protein shakes

they say this is not the cause of high uric acid..

but i am doubtful because im not a peanut overeater and thats the only thing i can think of that i take daily (4months already)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the 436.98 result above is my URIC ACID
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for the useful information Marvyn.

Uric Acid comes from proteins, and whenever you exercise the levels are likely to go up a little due to breakdown in the muscle proteins.

Normal kidneys maintain the uric acid levels with in normal range in the blood, but muscular adults may have a slightly high uric acid level in their blood as compared to normal population.

Also if you were a little dehydrated at the time when the blood sample was taken, it may also affect the results.

High protein take also contributes.

Honestly the levels you have mentioned are not significantly high, and appear to be normal for you.

At this point, I will suggest you to repeat the test after some days (a week or so) while you rest and maintain adequate hydration. Most likely this will get back with in the normal limits. Also limiting the excess protein intake will help.

If the levels remain high, then off course we have to cautiously rule out any kidney disorder that may give you this such as kidney stones, gout, rhabdomyolysis, and other causes for renal failure.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this does not sound serious at all.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK THANKS.. also want to say that the blood test was done 1hr after my workout (in which I took supplements). i did not allow a fasting period before the test.

so this means that PROTEIN SHAKES dont cause URIC ACID and that it can be part of my diet everyday of my life?

thanks
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Yes, dehydration and exercise seem to be the most likely cause here.

Diet also contributes, and so did the protein shakes (as i mentioned that high protein intake can also give you similar readings).

Hope this clarifies.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities