Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician

Hello. I am a 19 year old male, very healthy in general. About

Hello. I am a 19 year old male, very healthy in general. About three weeks ago i noticed a swollen lymph node (ONLY ONE) in my right groin area. It went away about a week or so after, but I still havent gone to the doctor. I am worried, I know that swollen lymph nodes can be a symptom of HIV. My question is; if I had one (and only one) swollen lymph node, and it went away about 7-10 days after, can it be HIV?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

When did you have your last sexual encounter?
Do you know the sexual history of your partner?
Is there any discharge from penis?
Any other symptoms?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, sorry for not providing all the information needed. I had the encounter about 5-6 weeks before finding the swollen lymph node. I always have safe sex and use a condom, but that particular time, my condom broke. There has been no discharge from my penis. I had a bad cough the last three days, but not anymore. Apart from that, I havent experienced any other symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear Miguel,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

Lymph node infection is called Lymphadenitis.It is a common complication of certain bacterial infections such as streptococcus or staphylococcus.

Enlarged lymph node can be due to sexually transmitted disease.A biopsy and culture of the affected area or node may reveal the cause of the enlarged lymph node.

Without tests,it is difficult to say that this can be due to HIV or not.You need following tests:

-STD testing(including HIV tests)
-Complete blood count(CBC)
-Fine needle aspiration cytology(FNAC)
-Antinuclear antibody(ANA) tests
-Autoantibody tests

Although your lymph node has subsided after about a week,bit still you need tests.

So the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that as your condom got broked during sex,to be on safer side & to rule out STD, you need testing at STD clinic so as to know the underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.Antibiotics may be prescribed accordingly if bacterial infection is confirmed.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you for your business!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know I need to go to do those tests, and I will tomorrow. But tonight, I can't get any sleep, it hasnt let me sleep tonight the thought of maybe having HIV. I read in some other place that when you only get a single swollen lymph node, the possibilities that it is HIV are low. Is this true? I just want to know what is your opinion on my case, how possible is it for me to have this in my case? (where it was only one, that already unswelled, and I have had no other symptoms apart from cough for two days, which is normal considering that I experienced a weather change 3 days ago because I was traveling). Help me out straightening my thoughts, enough to get through the night and get tested tomorrow. Also, how long do these test take to reveal (if by any chance you know) ?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear Miguel,
Thank you for asking follow up question.

I can understand the concern & worry you are having & I will try my best to bring you out of this.

Swelling of the lymph gland is typically a result of local or widespread inflammation or infection.Infection caused due to bacteria,virus, parasites can cause enlarged lymph node.

There is no evidence or research that prooves that if there is a single swollen lymph node,the possibilities of HIV are low.

Once infected with HIV, a person may or may not experience any symptoms. Symptoms related to HIV are usually due to an infection in part of the body.The symptoms include include fever that lasts from a few days to longer than a month with no other disease present and no other obvious cause, prolonged periods of chills and sweats, and chronic or long-lasting fatigue for which other causes have been ruled out.

Other symptoms are:Lack of energy,weight loss,frequent fevers and sweats,Diarrhea,Unexplained weight loss,Oral thrush,Recurring yeast infections. These are the most common symptoms of HIV positive individual.

You are having none of the symptoms of HIV.It is unlikely that you have HIV infection.

Most people develop detectable HIV antibodies within 6 to 12 weeks of infection. Getting tested earlier than 3 months may result in an unclear test result, because at this time you may not have developed antibodies to HIV.So it is best to wait for at least 3 months to have the HIV test.

Other tests of STD can be done tomorrow.

Cough you are having from last 2 days can be due to simple viral infection & not due to HIV.

So in conclusion,I would like to say that your symptoms does not seem to be due to HIV or other STD,but to be on safe side,STD tests should be done & rule out it.

Hope this helped & will help you to get a sound sleep.

Thank you for your business!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi Miguel

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you underwent the STD tests?
Is there anything else that I can help you?

Let me know,
Dr.Robert