Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I asked this question last night but I guess we had a problem

Customer Question

I asked this question last night but I guess we had a problem with my password, my question was about my constant pain now 4 days on my left lower abdomen I can not eat, and nauseated all the time, what could be my problem nothing is helping I am at my brothers right now be home Friday night, not much I can do until I get home, please help! Thank You
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
How severe are the symptoms?
Is the pain severe?
Are you having any vomiting?
Are you able to drink fluids?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my pain is very severe, just nausea, no vomiting, always thirsty I am able to drink water, can not get comfortable in any position!
You said that you cannot be seen because you are at your brother's. Is there no emergency or urgent care facilities at this location?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO! the closest place is over an hour away
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is correct my brothers home is over an hour away from any Dr.s office or hospital
Thank you for the additional information.

There are several possibilities to consider in someone with left lower abdominal pain. And some of these possibilities are more serious and may require hospitalization. The primary worrisome causes are certain infections, such as diverticulitis or infections of the kidney or female genital tract, with diverticulitis potentially being the most serious. There certainly are other infections that can present with such pain in the left lower abdomen, the most common being a viral infection of the gut that also may cause swelling and pain from swelling of the lymph nodes. There also are many non-infectious problems that can cause left lower abdominal pain, such as kidney stones, ovarian cysts, inflammatory bowel disease, or irritable bowel syndrome, amongst many others.

When first considering these symptoms and how it should be managed, the initial issue is the severity of symptoms. It is more likely that one of the more serious conditions are present when the symptoms are more severe, either severe pain or severe nausea and vomiting. It is more worrisome if the severe pain cannot be eased with acetaminophen. In your case, the pain is very severe and nothing is helping, so would be more worrisome. The other issue that can be worrisome, regardless of the underlying cause, is whether the problem could be causing dehydration. It is good that you are able to drink fluids, but it is worrisome that you are always thirsty. It would be more worrisome if there are other symptoms to suggest dehydration, such as lightheadedness, dizziness, or a rapid heart rate.

Therefore, given the severity of your symptoms, the appropriate recommendation is that you should be seen. Unfortunately, I cannot do anything about the distance to being seen, and your brother may be aware of some options that are not as distant.

If being seen is absolutely not a possibility, the options to try to help with this until you get home are limited. Certainly, the acetaminophen is the usual over the counter pain medicine. The other over the counter pain medicines (aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen) may cause stomach pain or upset, which is why the acetaminophen is preferred. If there are no other options, then one of them can be tried, but it is accepting a risk, so is not medically recommended. From the perspective of the nausea, it may help to use an over the counter antihistamine, such as diphenhydramine or meclizine. These medicines are not strong medicines for relief of nausea, but they are the best that is available over the counter. The other primary intervention that should be done is to be drinking plenty of fluids, and preferably fluids that are better for hydration, such as sports drinks or fruit juices. This can help avoid dehydration, and flushing the system may also be the appropriate treatment for a kidney stone.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also I had a complete hysterectomy in my 20's, I had my gall bladder removed also in my 20's, have high b/p lasto I checked it was 225/180, I take b/p medicine the highest in mg's, byostolic, and clonidine, the only drink I seem to be able to drink is water
Since you had a complete hysterectomy, then there is no concern that there could be an infection of the genital tract. The gallbladder is not a possible cause of left lower abdominal pain, so the previous removal of the gallbladder does not alter the possible causes.

If all you can drink is water, then that is the best that you can do, but when not eating, fluids with natural salts, such as sports drinks and fruit juices, are better at hydration.

If your blood pressure is 225/180, that is another reason to be seen emergently, as this level of blood pressure can directly cause acute problems, such as a stroke. The recommendation of when to be seen emergently is when the blood pressure exceeds 180/120. It is OK to rest for ~5 minutes and repeat the blood pressure check, but if the blood pressure continues to exceed 180/120, it would be important to be seen.

It is true that severe pain can contribute to an elevation in blood pressure, but regardless of why the blood pressure is elevated, someone with this amount of blood pressure should be seen.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr.Love my problem has not changed, is there anything that I can do until I get home to Arkansas this Friday? my b/p is still quite high
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Dr. Love is just fine but I would like an answer asap
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA
I notice that you have already rated the other answer and have a new question.

WE are only paid for positive ratings.

Would you like to continue and rate as satisfied
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am having severe pain on my lower left of my abdomen,can't not eat, drinking water,b/p is up 221/126, taken all my b/p meds, can't get to a Dr. or hospital until Friday when I fly home, at could this be pain level is between a 7 & 8
OK
I am sorry but you need to call a squad then.
221/126 is a hypertensive urgency about to become an emergency.

Stroke and heart attack are 2 possible emergencies this can become.

Ischemic bowel can be another consequence and that might be what you are experiencing.

This is not home management...and this is certainly not a treatment site but we are an information site.

You need to get to an ER now.