Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

I am suffering from losse stools, and abdominal cramps, the

I am suffering from losse stools, and abdominal cramps, the results of my stool test said the following:
Mircoscopic: Entamoeba histolytica cysts and trophozoites seen. with WBC=1-15/hpf & RBC = 2.5/hpf

Culture: growth of commesal flora observed

Any chance someone can explain what this means assuming i know nothing about the above other than its some kind of prasite.

Thanks John
John.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

The stool report indicates that you are suffering from infection by an ameba known as Entamoeba histolytica. This ameba enters the body with water or food and causes intestinal infections - symptoms being abdominal cramps, diarrhea and usually mucus in the stools.

Commensal flora is bacteria normally presnet in the gut and is not significant.

Treatment is with medicines like Metronidazole or Tinidazole. It clears up quite well.

I hope this helps.