Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.

Hey doc. I read online that HPV - 16 is the strain that causes

Hey doc. I read online that HPV - 16 is the strain that causes oral cancer and cervical cancer. If my wife doesn't have it would that mean I probably don't have it either?

Welcome and thank you for the question.

HPV 16 and 18 are the strains which cause oral and cervical cancer. If your wife is negative for these strains then yes, you do not have it too.

If you had picked up these strains from another sexual episode prior to marriage, your wife would have been infected by now and it would have shown in her report.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My wife is pregnant and she says she has been tested for everything possible. Would this be something that she has been tested for?
No, HPV is not typically tested for in pregnancy. It is carried out only if the woman has had an abnormal pap smear earlier.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So if my wife has normal pap smears , would this mean she probably doesn't have hpv? Do they test for HIV or herpes in pregnancy?
A normal pap smear dose not rule out HPV. A normal smear simply means that the cervical cells have not undergone changes - a women may be infected with HPV and still have a normal pap smear.

As per CDC guidelines, all pregnant women should be routinely tested for HIV. The herpes test is not done as a routine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Should my wife be tested for HPV and if I had HPV can my immune system clear it after a period of time?
You can ask the doctor to order a test for HPV althouhg it is not routinely done.

And yes, the immune sytem does clear the body of HPV after a few years.